does server have php/mysql

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to instal a e-commerce shop to a site owned by a friend of mine. How do i find out if his server has MySQL, and PHP enabled, as my mate doesn't have a clue what i'm talking about?
He can't even tell me if it has cPanel or not.

Reaction score
You could use phpinfo to try and get the php version information.

If you have root acess to the server do the following commands in SSH,

#rpm -qa | grep mysql
#rpm -qa | grep php

if any of those commands return nothing then you don't have either, if it returns names e.g. php-4.3.8.i386 etc then you've got the stuff installed, same applies for mySQL.

Chris,

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
To be honest, and maybe a little dumb with you Chris, I don't think I know what SSH is.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I just found out that my mate is using www.griffin.net.uk for his hosting, and their default hosting is Windows 2000, and they don't appear to have a cPanel anywhere, and their support is pretty crap (so far). I think he's been ripped off. PHP doesn't appear to be installed as standard, and MySQL DB's appear to be an added cost! :(

Has anyone else used this company? If so, how have you found them to be?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
£199/year for that??? I should move into the hosting business!

I'd tell him to move hosts if I were you.

Reaction score
Someone's been had by them jokers then...

mySQL is a industry standard and allmost all linux hosting packages and windows packages come with plenty of databases for you to use.

As for cPanel, it's not compatible with Windows at the moment, although they are developing it, i'm sure they'll change their mind and scrap it alltogether if they have any sense, windows + cpanel, tut tut, that will be the case of unreliability.

SSH is a term for root access, it's a console command prompt which i use to admin my servers, pretty much like the dos command prompt of a pc, but obviously in linux.

If you need a hand, give us a shout,

Chris

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Cheers guys. I have told my friend already that I think he has been had (it's actually his dad who bought the hosting for his shop). I have also showed him what else is on offer in the line of proffesional hosting. The only trouble is, he payed all that money for a years hosting upfront, so he's stuck with it for now.
I will be getting onto them on my friends behalf over the next few days...when i can get someone on the other end of the phone, and at least get them to upgrade his hosting to Linux/PHP/MySQL.
It would seem my friend was quite naive when finding his hosting, they told him he was getting a ggod deal, and as he doesnt know all the ins and outs of computers, he took their word for it....Conning bas****s!

Reaction score
tell him to move and quick - total rip off :(

A friend of mine does quality hosting at very cheap rates (it is quality just very cheap as he in is with the ppl who run the servers) http://www.sg5hosting.com :)

Sil

Reaction score
Monthly Data Transfer is just 100 Mb in their initial package. I guess one average site can easily do this in a day. Not a very good deal. Why not try http://uk.webhostdir.com/ to find out the most suitable host company.

Reaction score
100meg month isn't too bad for that amt,. they have recently upped the amount to 250meg / month,.

I have no idea what the average site does in terms of bandwidth,. or which average site you are talking about ;)

Sil

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
On my own hosting i get something like 40 GB per month for £4.99, although i get that caus it's my mates hosting company. I think normally you get 5GB for that price though.

Ask a Question