Does Crimson Skies not work under WinXP? Please Help!!!

Reaction score
Hi,
I installed Crimson Skies on my PC.
When I start the game, everything works fine until I get to the main menu screen. Then, even though I can hear the game music in the background, what fills my monitor screen is a waving red flag with a black skull-and-crossbones inside a black winged circle.
Is this a SafeDisc message or something? I tried SafeDisc Analyzer and SafeDisc Annihilator, and UnSafeDisc(various versions), and all I got was "Random Error" or something about the loader not being right.
I also downloaded and installed the game trial demo from the Microsft Games website. When I tried to run it, I got the exact same result as above.
With both game versions, the only way to close the game is to hit Alt-Tab, open Task Manager, and hit "End Task".
If anyone can shed ANY light on this situation, I'd really appreciate it! It's driving me crazy!

Thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hiya. Crimson Skies is 11 years old now and officially will only run on Win 95, 98, ME & 2000. I have known it to sometimes run on XP. Despite that if you have a recent Nvidia graphics card it will not run the game at all as Crimson Skies used an archaic graphics compression system which Nvidia graphics cards no longer support.

I don't know if the game will work with ATI/AMD video cards or whether it will work in compatibility mode within Vista or Win 7.

The error message you're receiving is likely the conflict with an Nvidia card.

If you're that keen on playing the game snag yourself an old machine circa 1999-2003 running Win 98.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
yes, as far as I could see, it is designed to play on XP ... that don't mean much in the game world.

Games are notorious for causing people to loose their hair.

Have you got the latest video drives?

Have you patched the game ... all games need patching, even out of the box, downloaded is no difference in most cases.

and then there are bugs ... try

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=2941

Welcome to PCReview :)

Ask a Question