Document Scanning after Win XP SP3

Kevin

I am running Win XP and Office 2003. I recently installed Win XP SP3 and it
broke my Microsoft Document Scanning Program. I am using an HP
Printer/Scanner. Before SP3 I would open up Microsoft Doc Scan and the
document would scan w/ out a problem. Now when I attempt to scan and error
window opens and says that the scan program has encountered a problem and
needs to close. There is a faulting Application mspscan.exe error in the
event viewer.

James Silverton

Kevin wrote on Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:11:02 -0700:
I am running Win XP and Office 2003. I recently installed Win
XP SP3 and it broke my Microsoft Document Scanning Program. I
am using an HP Printer/Scanner. Before SP3 I would open up
Microsoft Doc Scan and the document would scan w/ out a
problem. Now when I attempt to scan and error window opens and
says that the scan program has encountered a problem and needs
to close. There is a faulting Application mspscan.exe error
in the event viewer.

I hope that is not specific to all scanners. I will certainly think
twice or more about solving my own problems with SP3.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

bud

Kevin said:
I am running Win XP and Office 2003. I recently installed Win XP SP3 and it
broke my Microsoft Document Scanning Program. I am using an HP
Printer/Scanner. Before SP3 I would open up Microsoft Doc Scan and the
document would scan w/ out a problem. Now when I attempt to scan and error
window opens and says that the scan program has encountered a problem and
needs to close. There is a faulting Application mspscan.exe error in the
event viewer.

I saw something a couple of weeks ago that you have to shorten the name of
your scanner to less then 26 characters. Look in the control panel under
scanners or printers if it is a all in one unit and see if the name is more
then 26 characters. If it is shorten the name and try to scan again.
Not sure if it will work but harmless thing to try.

Kevin

Found this on Google and it appears to have fixed the problem. I hope it has
not broken anything else :(

Replace \Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MODI\11.0\MSPSCAN.EXE

with old

\WINDOWS\Installer\$PatchCache$\Managed\5040110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\11­.0.5614\MSPSCAN.EXE

thanks for the assistace.

jimid92691

yOU MUST SHORTEN YOUR SCANNER NAME AS IN THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE.

(e-mail address removed) View profile
More options Nov 28 2007, 9:41 am

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.officeupdate
From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 08:41:58 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Document Scanning Not Working after installing SP3
I solved this issue following the suggestion in

http://www.rawspinach.org/2007/10/17/mspscanexe-crashes-or-scansrv-crashes/