Do You Want to Save Changes?

T

Terry

Over time, I have saved quite a large number of Word 2002 (.doc) files which I refer to from time to time. Frequently -- but not always -- when I close a file I get a dialog box which asks if I want to save the changes I've made - even though I've made NO changes. All I've done is LOOK at the document.

So why does Word sometimes ask me if I want to save the (non)changes and not at other times?

What is there that could have been changed merely by opening the file?

These docs are NOT linked in any way to other files, there are no macros or date fields. There's nothing I can think of which might cause a "save changes?" dialog.

This is not causing a crisis, but help will be appreciated.

G

Greg Maxey

Terry,

Tools>Options>Save>Embed Smart Tags. If it is checked, uncheckit save and close. Reopen and see if your problem still occurs.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Over time, I have saved quite a large number of Word 2002 (.doc) files which I refer to from time to time. Frequently -- but not always -- when I close a file I get a dialog box which asks if I want to save the changes I've made - even though I've made NO changes. All I've done is LOOK at the document.

So why does Word sometimes ask me if I want to save the (non)changes and not at other times?

These docs are NOT linked in any way to other files, there are no macros or date fields. There's nothing I can think of which might cause a "save changes?" dialog.

T

Terry

Hmmm, I'm not sure. I opened one doc, followed your suggestion and yes, it made a difference.
I opened a couple more and they did not ask me to save the changes. Then the next one did! So
I'm not sure if the problem is solved or not.

I did notice that there was no offer to make the new settings (checkbox un-checked) the default
setting. . . ?

Terry

Terry,

Tools>Options>Save>Embed Smart Tags. If it is checked, uncheckit save and close. Reopen and
see if your problem still occurs.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm
For some helpful tips using Word.

Over time, I have saved quite a large number of Word 2002 (.doc) files which I refer to from
time to time. Frequently -- but not always -- when I close a file I get a dialog box which asks
if I want to save the changes I've made - even though I've made NO changes. All I've done is
LOOK at the document.

These docs are NOT linked in any way to other files, there are no macros or date fields.
There's nothing I can think of which might cause a "save changes?" dialog.

G

Greg Maxey

Terry,

With My experience this was an issue with documents created in previous
versions. Documents created with the current version should not show this
behavior.

Open your the template that you use to create your documents and change the
setting there. New documents created from the template will reflect the
template setting.

T

Terry

Docs created with previous versions may account for some (or even all) of the problems. You
suggested that I "open the template" that I use. . . . I haven't figured out how to do that yet,
but it sounds as if that would change the default settings and that's probably what I need to
do.

Graham Mayor, another MS-MVP has suggested that I look at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816473. Between the two of you, I'll no doubt solve my
problem.

Thanks to both of you.

Terry

G

Greg Maxey

Terry,

If you are using the blank document template to create new documents then
you are most likely using the Normal.dot template. Unless you have moved it
(and I doubt you have), you will find it at:

c:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

By default, I believe that this folder is hidden. So in Windows explorer,
click Tools>Folder Options>View then click the radio button "Show hidden
files and folders"

T

Terry

Again, thanks. This turned out to be more of a learning exercise than I had expected. You told
me exactly where to look for the Normal.dot file and still I had a bit of a problem finding it.
I may never need to use this info again, but I doubt that I will forget it!

Terry

Ask a Question