Word refuses to save a document

Steve Hayes

I tend to save documents fairly frequently when working in Word, but every now
and then it refuses to save the document, and says that Word cannot save a
document with the same name as itself, and asks me to save the file under
another name.

I could do that, then delete the original file and rename the new one to mrthe
original name. The only problem with that is that the Date Created, and all
record of editing time is lost.

Is there anyway of reminding Word that the fiole that i am working on is
actually the file I am worknig on tha that I want to save?

Alternatively, is there any way of copying the "Date created" and "Total
editing time" from the old file to the new one before renaming the new one as
the old one?

Stefan Blom

The problem you describe may occur with documents saved from an e-mail (or a web
location), because of the Protected view and/or file block settings. I have seen
it repeatedly myself. Or, to be more specific, I used to see it frequently, but
not so much anymore. Are your version of Office fully patched?

As far as the second part of your message is concerned, I'm afraid there is no
way to retain creation date and other data when replacing a file. You never can
tell for certain just "how old" a file really is.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Steve Hayes" wrote in message

I tend to save documents fairly frequently when working in Word, but every now
and then it refuses to save the document, and says that Word cannot save a
document with the same name as itself, and asks me to save the file under
another name.

I could do that, then delete the original file and rename the new one to mrthe
original name. The only problem with that is that the Date Created, and all
record of editing time is lost.

Is there anyway of reminding Word that the fiole that i am working on is
actually the file I am worknig on tha that I want to save?

Alternatively, is there any way of copying the "Date created" and "Total
editing time" from the old file to the new one before renaming the new one as
the old one?

Iceman

In this group Steve Hayes wrote in message
I tend to save documents fairly frequently when working in Word, but
every now and then it refuses to save the document, and says that
Word cannot save a document with the same name as itself, and asks me
to save the file under another name.

I could do that, then delete the original file and rename the new one
to mrthe original name. The only problem with that is that the Date
Created, and all record of editing time is lost.

Is there anyway of reminding Word that the fiole that i am working on
is actually the file I am worknig on tha that I want to save?

Alternatively, is there any way of copying the "Date created" and
"Total editing time" from the old file to the new one before renaming
the new one as the old one?

Have you tried 'Save as' instead of 'Save'? I've heard just using 'Save' can
create a lot of temp files, that can clutter up your cache.

Steve Hayes

In this group Steve Hayes wrote in message

Have you tried 'Save as' instead of 'Save'? I've heard just using 'Save' can
create a lot of temp files, that can clutter up your cache.

And using "Save as" will create a lot of permanent files that will clutter up
your disk.

Iceman

In this group Steve Hayes wrote in message
And using "Save as" will create a lot of permanent files that will
clutter up your disk.

Of course. If you rename them each time. :)

I merely pointed out that the 'Save as' option might work if 'Save' doesn't.
You use the same filename.