Do you use Adobe Flash?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I saw in another thread that Mucks wasn't keen on using Adobe Flash Player (I hope I understood that correctly ;)), and I wondered if there were any other users that avoid using it?

I couldn't browse the net without it as so many sites depend on the plugin nowadays. However, I can see why it isn't used by all when you see the number of security holes that have been patched over the years.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, although there are some rival technologies like Microsoft Silverlight which do a similar job.

Flash and ieSpell are pretty much the only plugins I use (in IE8).

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Yes, I use it too, and would also miss it for browsing interactive website content. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'm a rebel

yes, I avoid all Adobe viruses if I can, especially Adobe Reader

Fist time I have come across a site that needed me to "plug-in" on something ... I don't use Internet Explorer, nor that other thing, err, oh yeah Firegrot

:wave:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, Adobe Reader does seem to be a trojan magnet. I use Foxit at the moment, although that has also had it's fair share of holes (thankfully it's rarely targeted though).

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
yes, I avoid all Adobe viruses if I can, especially Adobe Reader

Fist time I have come across a site that needed me to "plug-in" on something ... I don't use Internet Explorer, nor that other thing, err, oh yeah Firegrot

:wave:

So what do you use mate??

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I couldn't be without Flash. Im waiting for 10.1 for my phone. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
No problems with Flash here on FF though I use No Script aswell.

Use Ocular for PDF's or Foxit on the Windows.

nod.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just read that Youtube allow you to watch videos using HTML5 now (only works with Chrome/Safari AFAIK), so there's a good chance that HTML5 will start to take over Flash/Silverlight apps once it is finalised and mainstream.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lemme see, I use Flash, it lets me view things and hasn't caused me any hassle yet AFAIK.

I use IE7 on all Windows installs except Win 7 which seems to make IE8 mandatory.

I don't like IE8.

I don't like Firefox.

I do like IE7.

I do like Opera but only have that installed on 1 machine alongside IE7.

I also have Java installed on one machine though I have not a clue what it does or what it's for.

I suppose I could look it up but can't be bothered :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
although there are some rival technologies like Microsoft Silverlight which do a similar job.

Does that mean that if you have Silverlight you can delete Flash?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Does that mean that if you have Silverlight you can delete Flash?

'fraid not - it's a rival technology and only works for Silverlight files. :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"The Portable Document Format (PDF) is a popular format to publish formatted text and documents. There are several different versions of it, some qualifying as an Open Standard, some certified by ISO and some encumbered by software patents. You might want to promote the versions that are Open Standards, because Open Standards guarantee interoperability, competition and choice. Read more...

There are many programs to read and write PDF documents. All of the PDF readers in the following list are Free Software, respecting your basic four freedoms to use, study, share and improve them. This gives you control over your computer and helps protect your privacy. Read more..."

http://pdfreaders.org/

Evince or Sumatra or possibly MuPdf are the ones easyiest to install on Windows.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
'fraid not - it's a rival technology and only works for Silverlight files. :(

"Increasingly proprietary software companies like Microsoft, Apple, and Adobe are pushing video and audio formats that restrict access and restrict software developers, but there is an alternative that can be played on all computers without restriction — Ogg. Ogg provides professional grade multimedia formats. Ogg is used extensively by free software projects, artists and a growing number of music and video distributors."

http://www.fsf.org/resources/formats/playogg/en

Free software ! Who needs it when you can pay to enjoy misery. :p

Reaction score
I use AFP, I can't imagine my life without it... It's needed while using internet almost everywhere...

Ask a Question