Do I need a Page File?

Richard Urban

We're not all as smart as you David, and most of us are certainly not as
coarse!

Isn't it true that virtual memory will still be used whether, or not, a
pagefile exists? Is it not independent of the pagefile?

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
That's a stupid comment. Intel designes the virtual memory.

Ken Blake, MVP

D@annyBoy said:
sounds interesting :)

maybe I should try putting the PF in the ramdisk

No, that's like stealing from Peter to pay Paul. The space you give to the
RAM disk you take away from Windows. All you do is move stuff from one part
of RAM to another. There's no conceivable benefit, and a sizable cost--the
overhead of the RAM disk.

Don't do it.

boe

I don't think so. I think it is dependent on the OS.. It is easy to turn
off the swap file in Linux - saves power too.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
It is more than an integral part of XP. It is an integral part of the CPU,
the motherboard, and the OS. Even programs expect to be paged.

Plato

boe said:
I have 2 GIGs of ram. I don't think I've ever seen my task manager tell me
I was using more than 1 GIG of RAM. I'd like to avoid it ever being
touched. Can I do that or does Windows XP really need the page file to run?

1. Return your ram for a refund if you dont want windows to use it.
2. Let windows manage your swap/page file.

D@annyBoy

IIRC, there is a project going where the OS is being installed onto the RAM
citing faster bootup and access, and less wear and tear on the hard disk

While sipping a glass of wine, I read that Ken Blake, MVP wrote in

Al Dykes

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I don't want my pagefile/hard drive to be used for
processes that could be handled by the RAM. I'm not concerned about disk
size. My goal is to have my PC run as fast as possible.

Take the defaults. Be happy.

What applications are you running?