DNS

I have a XP Pro - 2000 Pro peer to peer network, I have drive mappings,
shared folders etc....
I'm having an issue with my remote site when I login and the issue is that I
created a "file server"
with an XP box, but I can't see it by it's name so I'm assumming it's a DNS
issue. I've asigned a static
IP address and I can ping it from the remote site (which by the way I login
with a Linksys VPN solution
and that router is also host my DHCP). I can ping it and even connect to it
through a drive mapping as
long as I use the IP address. I can see the names of the other computers and
when I ping I can ping
the other computers by there name but I receive a Unknown host when I ping
the server by it's name.
So I was wonder is there something I need to do in the DNS settings to be
able to see the server.
Also, can it effect a program if you do a drive mapping via the IP address
instead of the host name?

Thanks for your time,
Craig

Joe Grover

If you're pinging the computer name, that isn't DNS unless you have Active
Directory setup. You're pinging the netbios name, so it's a netbios
resolution issue. There are many ways to resolve it, one of them being
creating a file named LMHOSTS in %systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc, entering
the IP address of the computer, pressing TAB, then entering the name of the
computer. Placing this file on each computer should make them able to
resolve by computer name, though this would not be a good idea if the IP
address of the machine changes.

Is the file "server" configured to be in the same workgroup as the other
machines?

Joe

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Craig,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I agree with Joe Grover's suggestions.

NetBIOS Name Resolution Basics
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/reskit/prork/pr
cc_tcp_gclb.mspx?mfr=true

Troubleshooting TCP/IP - Verifying NetBIOS Name Resolution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/technol/tcpipfund/tcpipfun
d_ch16.mspx

Host Name Resolution
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/evaluate/technol/tcpipfund/tcpipfun
d_ch07.mspx

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: <[email protected]>
| Subject: DNS
| Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:08:31 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hi,
| I have a XP Pro - 2000 Pro peer to peer network, I have drive mappings,
| shared folders etc....
| I'm having an issue with my remote site when I login and the issue is
that I
| created a "file server"
| with an XP box, but I can't see it by it's name so I'm assumming it's a
DNS
| issue. I've asigned a static
| IP address and I can ping it from the remote site (which by the way I
login
| with a Linksys VPN solution
| and that router is also host my DHCP). I can ping it and even connect to
it
| through a drive mapping as
| long as I use the IP address. I can see the names of the other computers
and
| when I ping I can ping
| the other computers by there name but I receive a Unknown host when I
ping
| the server by it's name.
| So I was wonder is there something I need to do in the DNS settings to be
| able to see the server.
| Also, can it effect a program if you do a drive mapping via the IP
address
| instead of the host name?
|
| Thanks for your time,
| Craig

Thanks guys,
Yes they're all in the same workgroup. I'll give a try to the suggestions.
Thanks a ton! Craig

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Ok, if you have any updates, please feel free to let us know.