DNS problem with subnets

soup_or_power

Hi
I have a host on subnet 192.168.5.0

I changed its IP to 192.168.11.0 subnet.

After several hours I pinged the host by name
(epcs.scholasticfundinggroup.com)
and the ping translated the name to 192.168.5.50. How can I make the
DNS refresh itself to use the 192.168.11.50 address?

I'm very new to DNS and Win2k servers, so please bear with my
questions.

Thanks

Kurt

First, from the computer that tried to ping the old address, try ipconfig
/flushdns and see if it changes. If not, the question would be how the DNS
records are being registered - by a DHCP server or by the client? Since you
say you changed it's IP address, I'm guessing the addresses are static. Make
sure your DNS is configured to accept secure dynamic updates and that your
client is configured to register itself.

....kurt

soup_or_power

Kurt said:
First, from the computer that tried to ping the old address, try ipconfig
/flushdns and see if it changes. If not, the question would be how the DNS
records are being registered - by a DHCP server or by the client? Since you
say you changed it's IP address, I'm guessing the addresses are static. Make
sure your DNS is configured to accept secure dynamic updates and that your
client is configured to register itself.

...kurt

Hi Kurt
Many thanks for your reply. How can I configure DNS to accept secure
dynamic update and configure the client to register itself?

Kurt

How can I configure DNS to accept secure
dynamic update

From the DNS snap-in, right-click your forward lookup zone and select
"Properties". On the "General" tab, find "Dynamic Updates" and select
"Secure Only" form the dropdown.
and configure the client to register itself?

On the TCP/IP Propoerties page, click the advanced button and select the DNS
tab. Check the box to "Register this client in DNS". If yo have more thatn
one forward lookup zone, also check "Use the DNS suffix when registering".

....kurt

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Kurt said:
From the DNS snap-in, right-click your forward lookup zone and select
"Properties". On the "General" tab, find "Dynamic Updates" and select
"Secure Only" form the dropdown.

On the TCP/IP Propoerties page, click the advanced button and select
the DNS tab. Check the box to "Register this client in DNS". If yo
have more thatn one forward lookup zone, also check "Use the DNS
suffix when registering".
...kurt

Just to add, make sure ALL internal m achines ONLY use the internal DNS for
all resolution (never use the ISP's DNS on any internal machine's IP
properties, server or workstations). THe internal DNS will still resolve
external names by the use of the Root hints, but to make it more efficient,
configure a forwarder pointing to the ISP's DNS server(s).

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...make it more efficient, one can
configure a forwarder pointing to the ISP's DNS.