DNS networking problem - help

Hi - I have a PC which is connected our LAN and acts as a proxy server for Internet. Its basically setup like any other PC running W2K Server, but it's DNS servers are setup so that the first two go to a couple of BT DNS servers via the web, and the third and last DNS server is our own internal network DNS server. The PCs default gateway is to our firewall which points it out onto a broadband connection

My probelm is that most the time it works fine, but it seems to regularly 'drop off the network' and no longer be able to resolve internet addresses. If I ping a web address it fails. Leave is a few minutes and it springs back to life. Problem is this causes the proxy to not function - and therefore users can't access the web

I've looked in the event viewer and seems to have a few 'Event ID 1000 - Windows cannot determine the user or computer name. Return value (1722)' and 'Event ID 11155 - The system failed to register network adapter with settings' errors, not sure if this is a ponter to probelm

The PC settings are as follows:

IP: 192.168.1.2
Subnet: 255.255.255.
Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (firewall
DNS: 213.120.62.10
213.120.62.104 - BT DN
192.168.1.11 - our internal DNS serve
WINS: 192.168.1.11 - our internal WIN

Can anyone help - as this i very annoying!

Doug Sherman [MVP]

It is not clear whether you are running proxy server software - the problem
may well be with that.

Try:

1. In the DNS console on your internal DNS server, right click the server
name, and select properties. Click the Forwarders tab and check the box to
enable forwarders. Enter the following addresses: 213.120.62.103 and
213.120.62.104. If the Forwarders options are greyed out, delete the "."
zone from your forward lookup zone list.

2. On the proxy server, set 192.168.1.11 as its only DNS server.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

Rod said:
[...]

Sergio Moreno

Hi there,

the userenv 1000 event ID could be name resolution issue, specially since the server it points to external DNS servers first.
Configure the new server to point to your internal DNS server only for name resolution and add forwarders to your Internal DNS server for external name
resolution (the DNS server can use root hints for external name resolution too)

--------------------
From: =?Utf-8?B?Um9k?= <[email protected]>
Subject: DNS networking problem - help
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 06:56:05 -0700

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Dou

I made the mods on the internal DNS (deleting the . etc) and addedd forwarders, and then removed the 2 DNS servers from the proxy PC. Now I can't connect at all - if I ping a web address i just get unknown host - basically doesn't seem to be getting out to web at all? Help !

Thank

Rod

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Hi Rod,

You have deleted the complete message history so lets start at the
beginning.
Can you post the ipconfig/all? How are you connecting to the internet? Is
this server OS?

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

Rod said:
Doug

I made the mods on the internal DNS (deleting the . etc) and addedd
forwarders, and then removed the 2 DNS servers from the proxy PC. Now I
can't connect at all - if I ping a web address i just get unknown host -
basically doesn't seem to be getting out to web at all? Help !!

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Get that server on SP4 and have the ms03-039 patch installed immediately!
Don't let it connect to the internet before you have those installed.

DNS should *only* point to youer server-IP.
You would be better off sticking in a 2nd nic and let the router connect to
that.

On the nic, TCP/IP, Advanced, tab DNS, make sure the 'register in DNS' and
'add primary suffix' are checked.

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

Rod said:
Hi

Ok - the proxy pc is w2k server sp3 and is setup as follows:-

IP: 192.168.1.20
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.2 (firewall)
DNS: 213.120.62.103
213.120.62.104 - BT DNS
192.168.1.11 - our internal DNS server
WINS: 192.168.1.11 - our internal WINs

It is running web proxy software NetIQ WebMarshall. Our users connect to
it by configuring OE to the above IP address for proxy. It works most of
the time but intermittently it drop off - and it won't connect to the web
and I'm getting errors 'Event ID 1000 - Windows cannot determine the user or
computer name. Return value (1722)' and 'Event ID 11155 - The system failed
to register network adapter with settings' in the event log.
After a few minutes it sorts itself out and connects back on and resolves
addresses etc. - can you help???

Marin

Sorry getting my SPs confused - its is on SP4 and is fully patched up to latest offerings

I'm not sure what to do now. I've tried adding forwarders to the two external DNS servers, into our own DNS server (.1.11) and then removing these from the proxy PC so it only looks at the internal DNS. But when I've done this I can't get 'out' to the web at all on this PC. If I for example ping/tracert to a www I can get to it, if I change as above I can't and get unknown host

Any ideas anyone...??

Marina Roos [SBS-MVP]

Hi Rod,

Again, you have deleted the history.
Can you post the ipconfig/all from the server and one from a client?

Marina
Microsoft SBS-MVP

Marina