DNS NAME SERVER

Alireza G.

Hi I am changing the the name server for a second level domain. after I run
the dns server on the new server and confirmed the new ip address for the
server with my name registration provider and they changed the NS record ips
to the new one the name resolution from the internet client failed.
the only difference between this new server and the old one is their names.
should they both have the same dns name ? doesn't referal works only with ip
address?

Gary Fose [MSFT]

The specific "name" of your DNS server is not critical. If the ISP or whoever handles the
registration of your second level domain for the Internet registers your new servers IP
addresses as being "authoritative" for that second level domain, then Internet clients should
be able to resolve the second level domain name. This change normally takes at least 48
hours to push through the Internet to other names servers.

Do an nslookup from an Internet client for the URL you are seeking and see what DNS server
responds to that query. Or use nslookup and set the name server to the IP address of the
name server responsible for that name.

If you are allowing Internet clients to access your names servers for this URL, then you need to
make sure you are allowing this through your firewall or that the names servers are accessible
from the Internet (if doing aony NATing, etc.).

Hope this helps
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "Alireza G." <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: DNS NAME SERVER
'--'Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 23:10:15 +0330
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
'--'
'--'Hi I am changing the the name server for a second level domain. after I run
'--'the dns server on the new server and confirmed the new ip address for the
'--'server with my name registration provider and they changed the NS record ips
'--'to the new one the name resolution from the internet client failed.
'--'the only difference between this new server and the old one is their names.
'--'should they both have the same dns name ? doesn't referal works only with ip
'--'address?
'--'
'--'
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.