DNS name reading problem from windows2000 professional

My PC has windows 2000 professional (updated to SP2). I am trying to install
Verizon DSL online. However, the connection to DSL activation server cannot
be established. The DSL technical guy told me my PC could not read DNS name
(but my PC can read DNS IP).
1) my pc CAN ping server IP address.
2) my PC CANNOT ping server name (i.e. www.yahoo.com)
3) IE6 browser cannot open up web pages ("The page cannot be displayed").
4) ipconfig CAN provide me IP for my pc and server
Could any one teach me how to do configuration so that my pc is going to
read both DNS IP and DNS name.
Thanks very much in advance.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Larry,

Check the network adapter for your PC and be sure it is not configured with a static IP for dNS.
I am assuming this is not a network PC and therefore will be using the Verizon DNS servers. If
that is the case, then make sure that the PC obtains DNS information automatically which it will
when it receives an IP from the DSL modem. If you are statically configuring your IP on the PC,
then point your preferred DNS IP to the default gateway of your Verizon modem.

Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?bGFycnk=?=" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: DNS name reading problem from windows2000 professional
'--'Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:32:01 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'My PC has windows 2000 professional (updated to SP2). I am trying to install
'--'Verizon DSL online. However, the connection to DSL activation server cannot
'--'be established. The DSL technical guy told me my PC could not read DNS name
'--'(but my PC can read DNS IP).
'--'1) my pc CAN ping server IP address.
'--'2) my PC CANNOT ping server name (i.e. www.yahoo.com)
'--'3) IE6 browser cannot open up web pages ("The page cannot be displayed").
'--'4) ipconfig CAN provide me IP for my pc and server
'--'Could any one teach me how to do configuration so that my pc is going to
'--'read both DNS IP and DNS name.
'--'Thanks very much in advance.
'--'
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.