DLL Referencing...

G

Hya, I am working on an application which is divided into many projects. All of the projects are are divided into two major portions...

- the persistance (all related projects in a same solution)
- the business (all related projects in a same solution)

If a project of persistance requires reference of another project located in persistance tier, I add reference using the PROJECTS tab.

Now the problem comes when I have to add a reference of project which is not a part of solution... I have to use the FILE reference. Now big big problems happens...

PROJECT_A uses PROJECT_B

I add reference of PROJECT_A in PROJECT_C
(as a result, it will copy both DLL's into the bin of PROJECT_C).

Now I also need to access PROJECT_B in PROJECT_C... I add file reference again...

Now problem occurs... for sure, if there is a version difference of PROJECT_B being used by PROJECT_A and PROJECT_C, the compiler gives warning that it cannot copy DLL blah blah... while building PROJECT_C.

Though I think I am unable to explain the problem properly, but still I expect an Excellent Answer! :D :D :D :D :D... you know why? :)

eff-kay

C

Chris Gallucci

If you're using C# you can change your projects' build location to a common
folder.
Select Project Properties->Configuration Properties->Build->Output Path

ChrisG

G

But how can this resolve the said issue?

I mean A.DLL uses version 1.0 of B.DLL and C.DLL uses version 1.0.1 of B.DLL...

then how can multiple versions of B.DLL exist in BIN of C.DLL?

The apparent answer would be using GAC... but how?

Is there any way we can add some POST building steps removing previous version from GAC and adding the newly built.

Thanks in advance

eff_kay

C

Chris Gallucci

Ah, sorry wrong explanation. I understand now what you're looking to do.

You'll need to review side-by-side versioning in the Help files. I have no
experience doing this but I know that is one of the features of .NET.

HTH,

ChrisG

G

Hi

Okiee... and thanks for the help :)

And about side by side execution, yes I have got the idea - but I was asking, how can we add POST build steps in .NET studio... a step like removing previous version of DLL from GAC and registering the newly built one.

eff_kay

Ask a Question