Disposable email addresses

Sagittaria

In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

"Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked and respected
everyone else."
cmsix wrote in a.s.s.d on 4/17/04

ceg

use (e-mail address removed)
if anyone sends an email to that addy they get a reply that basically tells
them to FOAD

Sagittaria

ceg said:
use (e-mail address removed)
if anyone sends an email to that addy they get a reply that
basically tells them to FOAD

I'm not quite that rabid ... there's some email I want to get.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

"Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked and respected
everyone else."
cmsix wrote in a.s.s.d on 4/17/04

Riggs

In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

I've had good luck with both Spamgourmet and Spam Motel. It seems like
just having an address with an @spamXXXX.com cuts down on spam, the bots
may filter those addresses out. I've been using this Spamgourmet address
for months and have only gotten 3-4 spams.

--

5

512/udp

In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.
http://www.mailinator.net

http://www.mailexpire.com

http://www.spamhole.com

Jonathan Aquino

Sagittaria said:
In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

dodgeit.com is currently receiving a lot of attention on del.icio.us.
Probably because the user interface is amazingly simple yet powerful.

GlintingHedgehog

So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these?

I've been using Spamgourmet for a couple of years, and I have no complaints
:)

Randy Bard

Sagittaria said:
In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

I believe all the recommendations given thus far are receive-only email
services, except no-ip.com which is not free. Try opening an account at
http://www.bloglines.com/ This is a free, web-based news aggregator
which you can use to subscribe to RSS feeds, but it has many other cool
features, such as the ability to instantly create all the disposable
email addresses you want, from which you can receive *and* send.

scroob

In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

If you're getting SPAM, why do you think it happens? It's because you don't
do basic security. I am looking at your undisguised email address in your
header, ripe for the picking by spambots and spammers. I'll bet you leave
it everywhere. Putting "nospam" after it does no good at all. "Nospam"
needs to go inside it.

I suggest you spend a good day Googling about computer security. It won't
take you long to learn a few tricks that can save lots of time and effort
down the road.

Bill Jones

: In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
: K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
: conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
: Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
: Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
: opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
: found yet? Thanks in advance.
:
: --
: ---->Sagittaria<----
:
: "Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked and respected
: everyone else."
: cmsix wrote in a.s.s.d on 4/17/04

I've used spammotel for a while and like it. However there are problems with
these type of addresses.

For instance, AVG will not accept a spammotel address. I had a back and forth
with them and they say it is because it has the word "spam" in its name.

I was trying to subscribe to the Research Buzz newsletter with a spammotel
address. It wasn't working (wasn't getting anything) and I finally decided to
pursue the issue with the site owner. She didn't know what was happening.
Eventually, we discovered that her ISP, NetAtlantic.com had a policy of not
accepting spammotel addresses. They said:

"We do not send mail to spammotel.com because it is a mail relaying service and
we do not send to such services"

Unfortunately, she did not know this and it was not stated in her TOS.

I have also had similar problems with spammotel addresses with other
newsletters, like The Onion, Men's Health, etc.

Vendors and ISP's often jump to conclusions about an email addresses with little
or no knowledge to back them up.

Bill

Sync

Sagittaria said:
In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

"Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked and respected
everyone else."
cmsix wrote in a.s.s.d on 4/17/04

Personally (because I can't get the other 6+ billion to comply), I'd use
a port 25 forwarding service (if yours is blocked) and a store and forward
service. ((((this all assumes you will run your own server)))). This can
all be done for under $20 per year (or 60 to 300) from the less frugal
services. You want the servers? I give them away.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

scroob said:
If you're getting SPAM, why do you think it happens? It's because you don't
do basic security. I am looking at your undisguised email address in your
header, ripe for the picking by spambots and spammers. I'll bet you leave
it everywhere. Putting "nospam" after it does no good at all. "Nospam"
needs to go inside it.

I suggest you spend a good day Googling about computer security. It won't
take you long to learn a few tricks that can save lots of time and effort
down the road.

I agree with Scroob. You need to be more careful. I have been using a
yahoo account for personal communications only for over a year now. Never
gave it for any registration and never receive any spam. You must be
careful where you give your address!!! And even then the occasional spam is
to be expected.

I also use K9 with my email client at home where I download my mails. After
approx. 10K mails it is running 97.8% effective and has classified only 6
good mails as spam.

Ron May

Message-ID said:
In an effort to stop receiving spam, after trying mailwasher, and then
K9, I'm ready to move on to trying disposable email addresses (in
conjunction with a brand new real address). So far I've looked into
Emailias, Kasmail, Mailexpire, Sneakemail, SpamCon, Spamex,
Spamgourmet, and SpamMotel. Can any current or former users offer
opinions on any of these? Are there any others out there that I haven't
found yet? Thanks in advance.

Like several others, I've used SpamMotel (for long-term uses like
newsletters) and SpamGourmet (when I want to receive only a set number
of messages.) Each serves a different purpose for me, but I
especially like the way a SpamGourmet address can be made up
"on-the-fly" without having to visit the website. I've used both for
several years and have zero complaints or concerns.

Something I ran across a while ago that doesn't appear on your list
is:
http://www.jetable.org/en/index

Also see FAQ at:

http://www.jetable.org/en/faq

It's a French non-profit site that's available in six other languages
besides english and french.

Registration, per se, is not required. You type in a valid email
address and it generates a disposable one that's good for 1, 2, 4, 6
or 8 days (you choose) after which time it expires.

I think it's great for things like posting to "for sale" forums or
other purposes where you may want an unknown number of responses from
an unknown number of sources, but only need the address in the short
term.

Just something else to add to the toolbox.

Ron M.

Mel

Randy Bard said:
I believe all the recommendations given thus far are receive-only email
services, except no-ip.com which is not free. Try opening an account at
http://www.bloglines.com/ This is a free, web-based news aggregator
which you can use to subscribe to RSS feeds, but it has many other cool
features, such as the ability to instantly create all the disposable
email addresses you want, from which you can receive *and* send.

You can send emails from www.spamgourmet.com disposable address and
reply to emails with reply address masking enabled.

I use spamgourmet and find it effective.

I did have to set up a watchword for the account I use in newsgroup postings
to prevent certain viruses creating new addresses.

I've also seen http://www.jetable.org/en/index suggested where you
want a time limited address.

ms

Randy Bard wrote:
snip
I believe all the recommendations given thus far are receive-only email
services, except no-ip.com which is not free. Try opening an account at
http://www.bloglines.com/ This is a free, web-based news aggregator
which you can use to subscribe to RSS feeds, but it has many other cool
features, such as the ability to instantly create all the disposable
email addresses you want, from which you can receive *and* send.

Randy, about 6 months ago, I posted about needing a free email account, you
suggested softhome.net, mentioned you never got any spam on it.

I've been using it since then. I'm careful where I give out (rarely) the address,
so I can target the spam I've been getting. When you sign up with softhome, you
*MUST* state some interest in a personal info form, there has to be something
checked off. No way to opt out.

Now, I get 6-8 spams weekly about sports, etc. because I checked one entry in sports.

How did you avoid spam, considering the above?

Mike Sa

Sagittaria

I agree with Scroob. You need to be more careful. I have been
using a yahoo account for personal communications only for over a
year now. Never gave it for any registration and never receive
any spam. You must be careful where you give your address!!! And
even then the occasional spam is to be expected.

I also use K9 with my email client at home where I download my
mails. After approx. 10K mails it is running 97.8% effective and
has classified only 6 good mails as spam.

Thanks guys, but I did say I was going to start with a new address. I
realize it's too late to salvage the ones that are all over the
internet.

Personally I believe it's important to put a real address on usenet
posts, so that people can contact me. I don't even like adding
"nospam" because it makes people jump through extra hoops. And I
sometimes want to get email from companies who I know will probably
sell my address afterwards. That's why DEAs seem like the right
solution to me. Some people prefer to use (e-mail address removed) but that
wouldn't work for what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm open to other
ideas, within those parameters.

--
---->Sagittaria<----

"Just think how boring life would be if everyone liked and respected
everyone else."
cmsix wrote in a.s.s.d on 4/17/04

Sagittaria

I also use K9 with my email client at home where I download my
mails. After approx. 10K mails it is running 97.8% effective and
has classified only 6 good mails as spam.

I meant to add, K9 is pretty good. Mine's at 99.8, after processing 67K
emails. But I don't like having to go through the spam folder to find
the invariable false positives - especially since 94% of my email is
currently spam.

--

ms said:
Randy Bard wrote:
snip

Randy, about 6 months ago, I posted about needing a free email account,
you suggested softhome.net, mentioned you never got any spam on it.

I've been using it since then. I'm careful where I give out (rarely) the
address, so I can target the spam I've been getting. When you sign up
with softhome, you *MUST* state some interest in a personal info form,
there has to be something checked off. No way to opt out.

Now, I get 6-8 spams weekly about sports, etc. because I checked one
entry in sports.

How did you avoid spam, considering the above?

Mike Sa

Hi Mike,

I've been on holiday in the Andes with no internet access. Really helps
to avoid spam :)

Seriously, when I used softhome I had no spam, but I ended up abandoning
that account because of unreliable service. Emails I sent were
occasionally failing to get to their destination. Subsequently I opened
a free acct. at fastmail.fm on a friend's recommendation. It is only
10mb, small by current standards, but big enough for me. The service is
in fact very fast, it is quite reliable, you can access your mailbox
with an IMAP client, and I've had zero spam for 4 months.

James A. Smith

Some may wish to just use simple "rules" that filter out everything
that does not come from people that have already gone on your "whitelist". I
do this with OE and get 0 spam in my inbox.

If I wish to register for some service ie..
Like some programs that need keycodes ect...
I just turn the rules off for a few minutes wait for the code and then
turn the rules back on.

And as you can see from my sig there is a way for "real" people
to get a hold of me that have not yet been added to my "whitelist".

To see how I have it set up go here...
http://www.jastek.net/emailrulehelp.php

Top