Display problems with certain websites II

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

Vista appears to be having a problem with my network. Some websites
show up without properly loading stylesheets and/or images. It
appears that perhaps it occurs when the resource is on a different
server from the main page.

The most obvious web page with this problem is microsoft.com!
http://www.microsoft.com/en/us/default.aspx

Another page that often fails: http://nytimes.com

Here's what it looks like in IE 7 and in Safari on Vista:
http://research.pdmagic.com/test/vistaIE7/microsoft_com.pdf

Here you can see that .js and .css are loaded from different machine
names:
<script type="text/javascript"
src="http://i3.microsoft.com/shared/core/1/js/library.js">

@import url('http://i2.microsoft.com/shared/core/1/css/core.css');

The problem is specific to Vista, and appears to be specific to my
network. Here are the facts:

1. I installed Vista 32 Ultimate on my Laptop in January and
experienced the problem, so uninstalled.
2. Recently installed Vista 64 Ultimate on my desktop and have the
same problem.
3. Recently installed Vista 32 Ultimate on my laptop (again) - same
problem.
4. There are about 6 computers in the office running XP, 2K, 2003
that do not have this problem. (running a variety of browsers
including IE7)
5. I put a VMWare virtual machine on the Vista 64 desktop - XP pro in
the VM. It doesn't have the problem.
6. I put the same VMWare XP Pro virtual machine on the laptop running
Vista 32. Also doesn't have the problem.
7. Went to a different network and problem goes away completely.
8. Problem occurs on my network using wireless OR wired NIC's.
9. Other computers that work in the office are connected to same
switch as the two that don't work.
10. The problem in intermittent. It works 10% of the time, fails 90%
of the time.

My network configuration is:
DSL from Qwest
Cisco 678 DSL Modem/Router
GnatBox firewall software running on computer with Intel GB NIC's
Netgear GB switch

I'd like to install Vista on other systems in the office, but can't
afford to have them fail on common web sites.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

-Pete

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

The "II" in the subject refers to this post by someone else:

From: =?Utf-8?B?S0M=?= <[email protected]>
Subject: Display Problems on Certain Websites
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 21:18:00 -0700

Our problems seem similar.

-Pete

Ian Betts

Pete d'Oronzio said:
[...]

Frankly after all those attempts to install I would format and start a clean
install on all of them..

--
Ian

With patience there is always a way.

Please Reply to Newsgroup so all can read.
Requests for assistance by email can not and will be deleted.

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

Ian said:
Frankly after all those attempts to install I would format and
start a clean install on all of them..

These are *all* clean installs. Every single one of them. That's
two virtual machines and two physical machines. They didn't work at
the end of the install, or after applying MS patches.

And - at least 2 of the 4 (the laptop and its VM) work fine at
another location. Also, the laptop running an XP VM works fine on my
network.

Thanks,

-Pete

Spirit

Try Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - IE without Add-ons

If that woks you have BHO's and/or running programs causing your issues.

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

Spirit said:
Try Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - IE without
Add-ons

If that woks you have BHO's and/or running programs causing your
issues.

Same result. Still displays incorrectly.

Recall this is a fresh install of Vista. There are no add-ins.
Also, it works fine at other locations.

Back in January when I first tried to install Vista and had this
problem, I did a few searches to see if anyone else was experiencing
this. I can't find the link anymore, but I swear there was an
article somewhere that talked about Vista dealing with packets in a
way that older routers couldn't handle. Is this possible?

I've purchased a new dsl modem/router and plan to install next week
to see if it fixes it. My ISP says no way it will change anything,
but nothing wrong with getting something newer than my Cisco 678

Thanks,

-Pete

Spirit

I suspect you have something corrupting your data stream such as a bad
modem, router, possibly firewall and maybe even anti-virus. Close all
the programs you can and try again. Hardware issues are tougher to
troubleshoot without extra hardware.

Spirit

The problem could be a router on your leg of the internet and
it has not been found yet by the providers.

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

Spirit said:
I suspect you have something corrupting your data stream such as a
bad modem, router, possibly firewall and maybe even anti-virus.
Close all the programs you can and try again. Hardware issues are
tougher to troubleshoot without extra hardware.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll try setting up my laptop outside the firewall just after the dsl
modem. However, what could explain that an XP VM *running inside*
Vista would work? Also, that *every* non-Vista system on the network
functions correctly?

I mean, if I go outside the firewall and it works; and then I change
the dsl modem/router and it works inside; Then what sort of thing
could be happening that allows all other OS's to work except Vista?

-Pete

Spirit

Possibly a Vista Driver is corrupting your data flow and
the XP VM does not use that particular part of the driver.

keepout

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'll try setting up my laptop outside the firewall just after the dsl
modem. However, what could explain that an XP VM *running inside*
Vista would work? Also, that *every* non-Vista system on the network
functions correctly?

I mean, if I go outside the firewall and it works; and then I change
the dsl modem/router and it works inside; Then what sort of thing
could be happening that allows all other OS's to work except Vista?
UAC... internal security, M$ firewall, list goes on and on. Hit the troubleshooting links that come up on those 404 pages. Then remember they're there because they CAN cure your problem if you use them.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my router, but on one specificpage today, my suggestion above cleared the 404 by fixing the router incompatibility.

I wouldn't call Vista bulletproof. It's as fallible as the next when you install crap software. Even stuff that passes M$ muster is still no guarantee.

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

UAC... internal security, M$ firewall, list goes on and on. Hit the
troubleshooting links that come up on those 404 pages. Then
remember they're there because they CAN cure your problem if you
use them.

Sure would love to, but the pages come up ok - just things they
reference don't. (i.e. images, stylesheets, etc.)
I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with my router, but on one
specific page today, my suggestion above cleared the 404 by fixing
the router incompatibility.

What did this? Clicking one of those 404 links? Fixed a route
incompatibility? Please elaborate, that sounds interesting.
I wouldn't call Vista bulletproof. It's as fallible as the next
when you install crap software. Even stuff that passes M$ muster
is still no guarantee.

bulletproof? ha! I'm not here to bash Vista - that's pointless.
It's not spitballproof, but I don't expect it to be. That's why I'm
here looking for help to fix / workaround a problem.

Obviously, I'm stunned that no one else (save that one post I
mentioned) has seen this.

Thanks,

-Pete

keepout

Sure would love to, but the pages come up ok - just things they
reference don't. (i.e. images, stylesheets, etc.)

What did this? Clicking one of those 404 links? Fixed a route
incompatibility? Please elaborate, that sounds interesting.
error pages with vista come up with several links on troubleshooting, butif like me you're used to the worthless 404 pages, you gave up, closed the page and moved on.

With vista those 404's also have some trouble shooting tips, and 2 links on them. Since I've used those links, on those links I really want to see, and I'm pretty sure it's not just multitasked to the max. I hit those links, and it almost always finds something.

1 today said the page and my router ????? had an incompatibility and asked if I wanted to fix it. I have never figured out that reasoning. YesI want it fixed, or I wouldn't be here.
It did a few seconds of progress bar, and refreshed a good page vs a 404.

You say parts of the page. Your HOSTS file may be blocking these things ?I use a special hosts that also does this. It came with a block on missingchildren.com. I spent months trying to figure out why my missing children banner no longer worked even at the main web site.

I see missing bit's and pieces of pages [404] to crap ads all the time. That means my HOSTS is doing it's job.
C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\etc]hosts
check your hosts file for those 404's.
It may be perfectly normal.

Pete d'Oronzio [pdmagic]

Spirit said:
The problem could be a router on your leg of the internet and
it has not been found yet by the providers.

Changed my router.
Still only works 10% of the time. msn.com and microsoft.com included.
Don't get any diagnostics (as the page itself loads)

bummer :(

-Pete

keepout

Still not solved. In fact, I'm seeeing it occur on an XP box as well.

I've posted a summary of what I've found so far on this page:

http://research.pdmagic.com/test/vistaIE7/

There is something else, but IE uses it as a test bed for addon's.
START - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - Internet explorer [no add-ons] I suspect a bare bones IE. If this works, your other problems may be configuration.
If the bare IE works, Not sure how to get your regular IE back to basics.
next
tools - Internet options - advanced - restore advanced settings and reset.
Tells you directly below it, you only do this if the browser is in an unusable state.

I'd say yours qualifies.

I'd also check all the tabs on tools - Internet options and restore all them to default status and see what happens. Add a reboot and try again.

keepout

There is something else, but IE uses it as a test bed for addon's.
START - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - Internet explorer [no add-ons]
..

Tried that - and recall that I get the same behaviour in Safari.

I assume that means useless.

Here's something I've been fiddling with a lot lately.
But it doesn't match your problem, But with luck, it might fix things broad enough to fix yours also..

find a 404 page.

1st link troubleshoot connection. My router has been causing some problems, but normally just with over tasking. The serial - DSL connection is always the 1st thing to go if I multi task.
This troubleshoot thing has been finding problems constantly on SOME pages. Sometimes it resets things, others not. When it comes up with a 404 and it found nothing and asks to send a report off to M$, I know the machine has done it's best, and a report won't accomplish anything.

You could try Sam Spade on those pages that are crap and get more info onthem. They might actually have more troubles.

But you having the problem on different machines makes no sense.

keepout

There is something else, but IE uses it as a test bed for addon's.
START - ACCESSORIES - SYSTEM TOOLS - Internet explorer [no add-ons]

Hmm. is UAC on ?
Run your machine thru www.GRC.com Shields up and see how your machine fares with that. It'll test your firewall connection specific to JUST you.

And that's another thought. Other than me, it doesn't seem like you're getting much help in this group.
I had the same problem with the ATI NG. Everyone had problems but no solutions.

Try setting your news reader to news.grc.com. the name and password should be 1 and the same.
then jump into the grc.techtalk group.

I try not to over use that ng. But I can't recall not getting a fix from that group.