Display Issues

G

I've successfully managed to get an image to boot and all hardware seems to function properly as far as networking and I/O capabilities.

However i'm having a strange issue related to Video. While i'm in XP Pro doing the target designer and component designer, the video is correct. However once i'm in Windows Embedded, the desktop overruns the monitor and there's a 2-3inch black space at the top of the monitor. I'm successfully downloaded the correct XPe SP1 drivers for my system and verified that they were loaded into the Image. It's weird however because it doesn't matter what driver is loaded as I get the same problem either way. The Monitor registers as a Plug-and-Play generic monitor. I've also tested on a regular CRT 17" display aswell as a Daewoo 42" Plasma display with native 1024 resolution.

This is really of concern considering the reason i'm testing XPe is for set top box and multimedia connectivity. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for the support,
Jordan Williams

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Jordan,

This is strange problem for sure since you have already tried two different monitors.
If it was only one display then I would assume that it is related to monitor settings for current resolution/refresh rate and that
you can set it on monitor itself.
Before continuing can you tell us if this problem is analog or digital in nature. I mean can you move your picture on monitor
up/down and see whole desktop surface?

Best regards,
Slobodan

Jordan Williams said:
I've successfully managed to get an image to boot and all hardware seems to function properly as far as networking and I/O capabilities.

However i'm having a strange issue related to Video. While i'm in XP Pro doing the target designer and component designer, the
video is correct. However once i'm in Windows Embedded, the desktop overruns the monitor and there's a 2-3inch black space at the
top of the monitor. I'm successfully downloaded the correct XPe SP1 drivers for my system and verified that they were loaded into
the Image. It's weird however because it doesn't matter what driver is loaded as I get the same problem either way. The Monitor
registers as a Plug-and-Play generic monitor. I've also tested on a regular CRT 17" display aswell as a Daewoo 42" Plasma display
with native 1024 resolution.

G

Hey Slobodan,

It is indeed strange, considering it all works great in XPPro...

To answer your question yes the problem is indeed analog in nature. If I have the CRT attached I can manipulate the screen so that it fills in more of the screen however the settings can only be pushed so far and it still won't fill the monitor completely. Nor can I stretch it enough vertically to fill the entire void. If I check out the advanced properties for the display adapter, the only choices for a refresh rate are 60hz and even if I unselect the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" box I still only have a selection for 60hz and nothing else. It's extremely weird especially considering in XPPro I can change my refresh rates without issues from 60hz to 75hz or even 80hz, and it still remains as a Plug and Play Monitor.

Odd.

By the way, the video card is a VIA/CLE266 Chipset and the monitors i'm using are a NEC MultiSync E700 and Daewoo Plasma TV.

Thanks again,
Jordan Williams

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

I have never used this video adapter type, but few more questions.

Are you 100% sure that your drivers are working?
Have you made driver components yourself, or you are using MS components?

You should use same drivers as in XP Pro.

Also use Device Manager or devcon.exe to see if your drivers are actually installed and working.

Best regards,
Slobodan

Jordan Williams said:
Hey Slobodan,

It is indeed strange, considering it all works great in XPPro...

To answer your question yes the problem is indeed analog in nature. If I have the CRT attached I can manipulate the screen so that
it fills in more of the screen however the settings can only be pushed so far and it still won't fill the monitor completely. Nor
can I stretch it enough vertically to fill the entire void. If I check out the advanced properties for the display adapter, the only
choices for a refresh rate are 60hz and even if I unselect the "Hide modes this monitor cannot display" box I still only have a
selection for 60hz and nothing else. It's extremely weird especially considering in XPPro I can change my refresh rates without
issues from 60hz to 75hz or even 80hz, and it still remains as a Plug and Play Monitor.

G

Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the drivers are install. Unfortunately I don't have devcon.exe on this image, however if I go to Dislpay Properties in Control Panels and look at the "Settings" tab, I do in fact see the S3/UniChrome Display Driver is what is described in the system. On top of that, all the 3rd party extensions to the Advanced button (for TV out, etc) are all there and function correctly.

I used the CLE266 driver I downloaded from this URL:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=110

Starting to get depressing as i've tried all that I can think of, and the majority of our products will be based off this exact same video chipset.

Thanks once again,
Jordan Williams

G

So i've determined that if I Uninstall the Video driver and then install the driver from the manufacturer CD everything fixes itself.

So I guess my question then is how do I go about getting the drivers from my CD into component form and make it all work with just a build of the image. With thousands of these devices planned for deployment, the last thing I need are tech's having to install drivers for video/sound support.

Glad it works though.... =)

Thanks,
Jordan Williams

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Hi Jordan,

You might find useful info in following thread:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...=1&[email protected]

Best regards,
Slobodan

Jordan Williams said:
So i've determined that if I Uninstall the Video driver and then install the driver from the manufacturer CD everything fixes itself.

So I guess my question then is how do I go about getting the drivers from my CD into component form and make it all work with just
a build of the image. With thousands of these devices planned for deployment, the last thing I need are tech's having to install
drivers for video/sound support.

Thanks,
Jordan Williams
video is correct. However once i'm in Windows Embedded, the desktop overruns the monitor and there's a 2-3inch black space at the
top of the monitor. I'm successfully downloaded the correct XPe SP1 drivers for my system and verified that they were loaded into
the Image. It's weird however because it doesn't matter what driver is loaded as I get the same problem either way. The Monitor
registers as a Plug-and-Play generic monitor. I've also tested on a regular CRT 17" display aswell as a Daewoo 42" Plasma display
with native 1024 resolution.

R

Richard

Check your BIOS settings. Most of the embedded boards have a place to set
resolution for Flat Panels in the setup. Mine was set to Enable and had a
different resolution. I was having the same problem and after disabling the
LCD Display in the bios the problem was solved.

Jordan Williams said:
Yeah, I'm 100% sure that the drivers are install. Unfortunately I don't
have devcon.exe on this image, however if I go to Dislpay Properties in
Control Panels and look at the "Settings" tab, I do in fact see the
S3/UniChrome Display Driver is what is described in the system. On top of
that, all the 3rd party extensions to the Advanced button (for TV out, etc)
are all there and function correctly.
I used the CLE266 driver I downloaded from this URL:
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=110

Starting to get depressing as i've tried all that I can think of, and the
majority of our products will be based off this exact same video chipset.

R

Richard

Opps, sorry, I wrote the previous message before reading this one. Ignore
the bios then.

Jordan Williams said:
So i've determined that if I Uninstall the Video driver and then install
the driver from the manufacturer CD everything fixes itself.
So I guess my question then is how do I go about getting the drivers from
my CD into component form and make it all work with just a build of the
image. With thousands of these devices planned for deployment, the last
thing I need are tech's having to install drivers for video/sound support.

Thanks,
Jordan Williams
doing the target designer and component designer, the video is correct.
However once i'm in Windows Embedded, the desktop overruns the monitor and
there's a 2-3inch black space at the top of the monitor. I'm successfully
downloaded the correct XPe SP1 drivers for my system and verified that they
were loaded into the Image. It's weird however because it doesn't matter
what driver is loaded as I get the same problem either way. The Monitor
registers as a Plug-and-Play generic monitor. I've also tested on a regular
CRT 17" display aswell as a Daewoo 42" Plasma display with native 1024
resolution.set top box and multimedia connectivity. Any suggestions would be much
appreciated.

Ask a Question