Display Font

G

Out of the blue the font used on Display is some graphic font, unreadable.
If (using another PC as a lead to choose the right tabs) I go Control Panel , Display, Appearance, Effects I notice the fade effect is in grey. If I change the setting and back to "fade" then the fade effect is in black and then the display will show a proper font, although it was not the one used before. The only reason I chose this is this was the only apparent difference between the two PCs.
However all applications and the button "Start" itself remain in the graphical font.

How do I cure that? I tested with Virusscan (updtodate) with no result.

Thanks,

Pierre

G

I found out that the system loads only 5 basic fonts, of which Marlett, the graphical one. The text fonts have no bold option. So when the system looks for Tahoma and MS sans Serif, the normal fonts, and do not find them then it defaults to Marlett which apparently accepts bold. By unchecking in Control Panel/Display/Appearance all fancy options (bold, fade, shadow, etc) then one of the basic font is used and all is legible. Except one of the Windows bar in applications that is clearly in bold and remains in graphical font; I do not know how to turn it off, and is not critical.

However, now, how do I restore the proper settings so that all required fonts are loaded on boot? Somewhere in Registry? They certainly are in windows/fonts.

The day before I had used QuickClean of McAfee which does registry cleaning, and I wonder if it did not do too thorough a job. Usually I check every action, not this time.

Thanks and regards
Pierre

Ask a Question