Diskeeper

Reaction score
Hello i am using Diskeeper with vista on 160gb harddrive and the fragmentation still is,nt done.

it has been going overnight for 9hrs and still stuck on 41%

I do have rollback install aswell

is this normal because it looks like it never going to get to 100%

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
What version of Windows are you running?
Have you tried to run Diskeeper in Safe Mode Windows?
Have you tried to run the Windows Defragmenter?
Do you have an NTFS file system configured?

When you run a defragmentation of any kind, you will want to stop as many programs as possible from running and altering the file configuration that you are attempting to defragment. I recommend trying to run the software within Safe Mode Windows.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

This will allow you to eliminate many programs that would prevent these actions from occurring properly. Things like power managment and screen savers will present an issue as well. If the machine is set to go to sleep, defrag will not run. Consequently, if there is a screen saver set, the machine will never finish the defrag, usually, because of processor time that is being used by attempting to run both cpu intensive programs.

The NTFS file system technically does not require defragmentation. The way the file system is configured fragmentation should not occur. However, this is in a perfect world with always perfect conditions. The longer you allow your system to go without reformat or "cleanup," the slower the system will respond when dealing with the file system. I'm not talking 6 months time, I am talking years. There are people that have owned their computers for 10 years and wonder why it performs slowly. You have to reformat from time to time. Fragmentation also depends on the level at which you install and remove software and files. Download operations, such as music or movie, can cause fragmentation if performed at a high level.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Help Us to Help You

Ensure that you provide all relevant data that might help in diagnosing the problem; this should include your PCs specifications, any patches or updated drivers you’ve installed, including version numbers, external hardware and what fixes you have attempted. Most members here at PCReview are only too pleased to help out, but can only give effective advice if you provide detailed explanations of the problem or fault.
Use Windows 7 and forget about defraging. :)

For the defragmenter to properly run, ensure you have no applications running. Typically, SYSTRAY and EXPLORER are all you need to have running. You can see the active tasks you have running by doing a "three-finger-salute" (Ctrl+Alt+Del).

Disable any screen saver in use, too.

The defragmenter will fail to stay running if your system is constantly accessing some other application like Findfast.exe, a resource user that automatically gets installed with Microsoft office.

You must be using an older ver of DK, these days they/it should defrag in the background. Oh, and you do need 'free space' to defrag a drive. :)

:user:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Typically, SYSTRAY and EXPLORER are all you need to have running

I have shut down a rundll or two and ended up shutting down the entire machine. With respect, this is not entirely accurate.

Ask a Question