Disk partitions

OJK

Need help. Have a 20GB hard drive with 2 primary
partitions. one 2 GB (boot) and the other 18GB. I want to
delete the second partition and have one partition of
20GB. What can I do?? Could you please e-mail any
suggestions.

Matthew Mucker [MSFT]

OJK,

To do this using only Microsoft software, you'd have to back up your system,
repartition your drive (destroying the data on it), reformat, reinstall your
operating system, and restore your data.

There are third party tools out there that claim to be able to do what you
want. Partition Magic is one such commercial application; you may be able to
find freeware or shareware applications.

Microsoft cannot support these applications, and it would be wise to have a
backup, just in case. But the fact of the matter is that these programs are,
in general, pretty reliable. After all, they wouldn't have succeeded in the
marketplace if they consistently destroyed customer data.

-Matt

Bill Spears [MSFT]

You could use diskpart to extend the volume to the unallocated space,
provided that the space is contiguous to the partition that you are
extending.

325590 How to Use Diskpart.exe to Extend a Data Volume
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

Regards,
Bill Spears

R. C. White

Hi, Bill.

The OP wants to extend his "boot" volume, by which I think he means what MS
calls the "system partition". Diskpart has plenty of "gotchas", most
mentioned in articles 289876 and 325590, including this one:

"Recommended for data volumes and not recommended for the system or boot
volumes."

If he has a second computer, he could temporarily move this HD into that
computer. Then he could run DiskPart while this is a "data volume".

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Bill Spears [MSFT]" said:
You could use diskpart to extend the volume to the unallocated space,
provided that the space is contiguous to the partition that you are
extending.

325590 How to Use Diskpart.exe to Extend a Data Volume
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325590

Regards,
Bill Spears

rights.

DiskPart will only work on the NTFS file system, I tried it.try something else. Good luck

----- \"Bill Spears [MSFT]\" wrote: ----

You could use diskpart to extend the volume to the unallocated space,
provided that the space is contiguous to the partition that you are
extending

325590 How to Use Diskpart.exe to Extend a Data Volum
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=32559

Regards
Bill Spear

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

Diskpart can be used on any NTFS partition. The trick is to be in safe
mode. Otherwise you may end up with the boot sector being updated and the
partition table still having the original number of sectors. Also, you do
not have to be using Dynamic disk to use diskpart and extend partitions as
long as the disk space is contiguous.
Joe Griffin [MS]
From: "R. C. White" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Disk partitions