Disk Manager Problem

Light Templar

I have a problem with my Disk Manager in Windows 2000 /w SP 4.

When I start the Disk Management it comes up with an error that says:

"The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."

The status bar on the disk manager says:

"FAILED connection to logical disk manager"

Any idea what I need to do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

I understand that you are unable to start the Disk Management and the
system displays error message 'The dependency service does not exist or has
been marked for deletion.'

Note: The suggestion involves editing registry. Please backup registry
before performing the suggested steps.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Please open the registry editor.
2. Check whether you find a folder named dmserver in the following path:

HKEY_Local_Machine\System\currentControlSet\Services\

3. If the registry key is missing, please copy that from a different system
of similar configuration. Check if you are able to open the disk management
console now.

If the key is present, please provide more information about the issue.
Send us any related events in the event viewer.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| From: "Light Templar" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Disk Manager Problem
| Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:21:36 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| I have a problem with my Disk Manager in Windows 2000 /w SP 4.
|
| When I start the Disk Management it comes up with an error that says:
|
| "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion."
|
| The status bar on the disk manager says:
|
| "FAILED connection to logical disk manager"
|
| Any idea what I need to do to fix this?
|
| Thanks in advance.

Light Templar

Rashi! My friend... It didn't work. :c) It did change somethings though.
The error message changed. It's now "the dependency service or group failed
to start" The Logical Disk Manager now appears in the "Sevices" dialog,
where it did not appear before, but I cannot start it manually either.
That's some progress, but it still isn't working. Can you help me again?

Thank you very much!

While Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] was contemplating his or her navel in

Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your response with the details.

I understand that the system displays a different error message when you
try opening the disk manager MMC console.

Please try the following suggestions:

Step 1:

Make sure that you log on as a administrator.

Step 2:

1. From Start, click Run, input services.msc in the Open box and press
Enter.

2. Double click on "Plug and Play" change "startup type" to "automatic"

3. Check whether or not the Remote Procedure Call, Logical Disk
Mangement and Logical Disk Manager services are running.

4. If not, start them manually.

Step 3:

If the issue still exists, please boot the computer into Safe Mode for
testing.

1. Restart the computer.

2. Keep press F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose the Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. Can you open Disk Management in Safe Mode? If the disk
management tool fails to run in safe mode, please execute the sfc /scannow
command. The following link provides you more information about sfc command.

Description of the Windows 2000 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;222471

Do let us know the result.

Thank you,

Rashmi

| From: "Light Templar" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Disk Manager Problem
| Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:39:50 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
|
| Rashi! My friend... It didn't work. :c) It did change somethings
though.
| The error message changed. It's now "the dependency service or group
failed
| to start" The Logical Disk Manager now appears in the "Sevices" dialog,
| where it did not appear before, but I cannot start it manually either.
| That's some progress, but it still isn't working. Can you help me again?
|
| Thank you very much!
|

| While Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] was contemplating his or her navel in
| | <[email protected]> he or she gave us all a good laugh with the
| following...
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > I understand that you are unable to start the Disk Management and the
| > system displays error message 'The dependency service does not exist
| > or has been marked for deletion.'
| >
| > Note: The suggestion involves editing registry. Please backup registry
| > before performing the suggested steps.
| >
| > WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems
| > that may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee
| > that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can
| > be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
| >
| > 1. Please open the registry editor.
| > 2. Check whether you find a folder named dmserver in the following
| > path:
| >
| > HKEY_Local_Machine\System\currentControlSet\Services\
| >
| > 3. If the registry key is missing, please copy that from a different
| > system of similar configuration. Check if you are able to open the
| > disk management console now.
| >
| > If the key is present, please provide more information about the
| > issue. Send us any related events in the event viewer.
| >
| > Thank you,
| >
| > Rashmi

| > rights. --------------------
| >> From: "Light Templar" <[email protected]>
| >> Subject: Disk Manager Problem
| >> Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 07:21:36 -0400
| >> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP09
| > phx.gbl
| >>
| >> I have a problem with my Disk Manager in Windows 2000 /w SP 4.
| >>
| >> When I start the Disk Management it comes up with an error that says:
| >>
| >> "The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for
| >> deletion."
| >>
| >> The status bar on the disk manager says:
| >>
| >> "FAILED connection to logical disk manager"
| >>
| >> Any idea what I need to do to fix this?
| >>
| >> Thanks in advance.
|

| --
| Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to
| evade the need to think and evaluate evidence.
| Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of,
| the lack of evidence. - Richard Dawkins

Light Templar

While Rashmi.K.Y [MSFT] was contemplating his or her navel in
<[email protected]> he or she gave us all a good laugh with the
following...

Thanks Rashmi! It worked! It's working fine now. Thanks!