Disk Boot Failure

JRPS

When booting up my son's PC (XP Home), he receives a
message that contains the following info at the bottom of
the screen:

Verifying DMI Pool data
Boot from cD
boot from cd
disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

I have created a boot disk but that does not seem to
work. If I type C: or CD c: a message is returned that
the file is invalid.

Any suggestions would be great. Frustrated father,
impatient teenager needs help! :)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data...:

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"JRPS" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message:

| When booting up my son's PC (XP Home), he receives a
| message that contains the following info at the bottom of
| the screen:
|
| Verifying DMI Pool data
| Boot from cD
| boot from cd
| disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter
|
| I have created a boot disk but that does not seem to
| work. If I type C: or CD c: a message is returned that
| the file is invalid.
|
| Any suggestions would be great. Frustrated father,
| impatient teenager needs help! :)

Amir Facade

If you have opened the case, make sure that the cables to the hard drive are
still in the drive tightly. They don't usually pop out, but you never know.
Is there a floppy disk in the floppy drive?(just a stray thought)
will it boot from your XP CD?
will it boot from a windows 98 startup disk. http://www.bootdisk.com/
might be a bad hard drive. http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
OK, this might sound out there, but if you do think its the hard drive, you
may be able to get it to boot if you remove it from the tower, put it in a
plastic bag and pop it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Then put it
back in your tower and see if it will start up.
If it does, either burn everything that's important to a cd or copy anything
mission critical to another drive.
I know, I know, "this guy is crazy."
I have done this twice, and it worked once.
50, better than 0%
good luck, hope its not the drive.

Amir

www.YourPersonalGeek.us

Plato

JRPS said:
When booting up my son's PC (XP Home), he receives a
message that contains the following info at the bottom of
the screen:

Verifying DMI Pool data
Boot from cD
boot from cd
disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter

Time to check if the hard drive has gone to heaven.