Windows XP Disable Safely Remove Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I know that the icon by the time can be hidden. I'm looking for a reg key, or other setting, that will allow me to turn off the "Safely Remove Hardware" function.

anyone have any suggestions?

- Surfer

Reaction score
Why remove it, it's their as a safety feature when using a USB device?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
it's an attempt to stabilize the USB hub on a particular hardware setup i use.

Reaction score
Silverhazesurfer said:
I know that the icon by the time can be hidden. I'm looking for a reg key, or other setting, that will allow me to turn off the "Safely Remove Hardware" function.

anyone have any suggestions?

- Surfer

Yes, I have the best suggestion for you..Leave it alone...Don't disable it..End of..Enough said, and we shall leave it at that..Unless you never intend in your life to ever plug in a USB device..?

Reaction score
Silverhazesurfer said:
it's an attempt to stabilize the USB hub on a particular hardware setup i use.
Whats the set up you have XP or Vista?
And what's the hardware issue??
It's unwise to try to remove it as it's their to avoid damaging USB devices.
But if your problem is that you are finding the USB hub unstable then dont use it or use a different one?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
i have a USB device that is causing problems. It never gets disconnected from the box and the manufacturer of the box recommends to disable it. I want to test it and see what happens.........

- Surfer

Reaction score
I think you could stop it by altering the IRQ for the USB.
BUT i have never tried this method!

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
I have XP Pro running. I have a GPIO board connected via USB. The USB ports on this box are unreliable at times. I notice that there is alot of plug/unplug going on with windows. I want to be able to send power to the USB and identify the device and give it a hardware ID..........like the old days of plug and play.

-Surfer

Reaction score
So your trying to circumvent an issue instead of fixing it.
Just because you disable the USB PnP in windows, it won't stop the fluctuations that cause the Connect/Disconnect.
Replace the mainboard or buy a PCI USB card.

Reaction score
My suggestion! DON`T!!!! EVEN THINK ABOUT IT????? Period.......:rolleyes:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
but i AM thinking about it......hence the question. dont do it is an unacceptable answer. so i keep googling................

Reaction score
Silverhazesurfer said:
but i AM thinking about it......hence the question. dont do it is an unacceptable answer. so i keep googling................

Quite simple matey, don't even think about it..As Jaling said, sort the problem out..End of..

Reaction score
dont do it is an unacceptable answer. so i keep googling

Carry on. It is an acceptable reply in my view!!!! As we have all said the same albeit in different wording of phrase.

Reaction score
Well you came here for advice and various people have given it to you, but yet you still fail to listen to that advice..Whats the point of the thread staying open then..? Mods/Admin might aswell lock it..
wallbash.gif

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
what is the point in having a forum discuss things if nobody gives reasonable answers......to me, for my application, don't do it is unacceptable. to keep on saying don't do it is remedial at best. I notice that alot with these forums.

Its easy to say don't do it, but you NEVER learn anything if you don't do it and mess it up once in a while. An experimental situation with no costs to anyone has no ramifications other than yes it works or no it doesn't. I want to find out what happens.

why post to a thread when the only answer you have is don't do it? at that point, YOU are becoming useless and causing the thread to fill up with information not pertinent to the situation.

I will keep looking, don't doubt that. When i find an answer, i will post. If you have information that will allow the thought process to move forward, feel free to post, otherwise, it will simply be disreguarded on my part.

- Surfer

Reaction score
Silverhazesurfer said:
what is the point in having a forum discuss things if nobody gives reasonable answers......

I think we all gave very reasonable answers...And Jaling gave the best answer..Sort the problem you are having wit the USB devices..Its not rocket science, even my 5 year old son could undderstand that...
wallbash.gif

Reaction score
Just googled & found THIS
Silverhazesurfer i have tried google myself but dont come up with much more than you.
It may just be a case that you take a while to sort this problem out!

If this was a 'proper' job & i was advising on it i would not even mention changing the IRQ for USB.
You do so at your own risk.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Thank you Jaling. appreciate the assistance.

The GPIO uses a 36-pin Jamma connector, so i don't think i can find a PC card like that. Unless you know of a circuit manufacturer that will build one. That would be effin ossim.

I know that the boxes that i have are shaky at best when it comes to USB. And to top it off......im not 100% certain that the USB is the cause of the issue. this was just an avenue of exploration.

-Surfer

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
feckit..............checked your site.........i like it, not sure if it applies tho.

im going to tinker a bit..........maybe i can make it blow up.

- Surfer

Reaction score
FWIW.

Out of all your posted queries have you ever found a solution? As it doesn’t appear as though you have.

If I am incorrect it seems you never post to the contrary [solved]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question