Disable resolving email addresses towards Exchange

G

Hi all

I'm running Exchange 2003 with certain Outlook XP and 2003 clients. Every user has two or more email-addresses configured in Exchange (e. g. "(e-mail address removed)" and "(e-mail address removed)"). Now I want to create server-based Outlook-rules to filter email sent to one of these email addresses (here: (e-mail address removed) and EXCPLICITELY NOT to (e-mail address removed)). The rule is quite simple: delete mails sent to "(e-mail address removed)" (the rules are corporate given, so they are not nonsense as it appears on the first glance). The problem occurs when I try to enter the mail address for filtering in the rule wizard: Outlook automatically matches the mail address towards the Exchange address directory and replaces my typed address by the name of the user (which has two or more mail addresses). So after creating, the rule is applied to all email addresses of the user. How can I prevent Outlook from resolving these email addresses towards the address dictionary? Unselecting it in the drop-down where I can select several dictionaries doesn't help. Neither does using the "recipient address contains the words" rule definition item, because it forces the rule to be client-based. What can I do

Thank you very much in advanc

Hannes

L

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

The mail is all coming in to one single mailbox with aliases assigned, so it
will always resolve to the mailbox name....if you don't want mail sent to
(e-mail address removed) why is it part of the mailbox? Not sure how you can
do anything like this with rules...

G

Hi

maybe I was not aware that this scenario is quite unusual. So I'll explain the reasons for it. And maybe you have a better solution for this than the one I'm thinking of: Ok, every user has two email-addresses: (e-mail address removed) and (e-mail address removed). The first address is the official one which is provided to customers and on the website. The other one's purpose is receiving rather private mails. Now the management wants all mails sent to the official address to be forwarded to the administrator's account (so in case of absence of the user, his/her mails can still be processed and, if required, forwarded to another user). But private mails sent to the inofficial address must not be forwarded to the administrator. So a proposal by a newsgroup user was to forward all mails to the administrator and subsequently delete the private mails from the administrator's mailbox. At present, this requirement is achieved by rules applied by the 3rd party Exchange/POP3-Connector, but this solution is not pleasant at all

Thanks in advance for any useful proposal

Hanne

----- Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote: ----

The mail is all coming in to one single mailbox with aliases assigned, so i
will always resolve to the mailbox name....if you don't want mail sent t
(e-mail address removed) why is it part of the mailbox? Not sure how you ca
do anything like this with rules..

Schneider, Hannes wrote

Ask a Question