Disable offline caching on an NT4 Server share

Paul

We have a W2K Active Directory with Windows XP Pro
clients. There is also a resource NT domain containing an
NT 4.0 Server.

The XP clients are using shares from the NT Server. In
particular the users have roaming profiles and home
directories stored on the NT Server (with My Documents
redirected to their home directory).

When the users logout you always see a file
synchronisation dialog (presumably sync'ing their offline
folders). Warnings appear in the event log that you
shouldn't use offline folders with Roaming Profiles, and
that you should disable Offline Caching on the Roaming
Profile share. I can see how to do this if the server was
running W2K - but not if it is an NT Server - there is no
equivalent dialog that I can find?

How do I disable Offline Caching on a share on an NT
Server? I'd like to disable it on both the Roaming Profile
and Home Directory Shares. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have tried using GPOs to disable offline folders for the
users / XP clients - without any success yet (although
there are some GPOs I haven't tried). But it seems better
to me to disable caching just for this NT Server? The
stuff I've read in the 2003 Deployment Kit seems to
suggest that a lot of the GPO disable settings don't
affect a share with Offline Caching enabled anyway.
..

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Paul said:
We have a W2K Active Directory with Windows XP Pro
clients. There is also a resource NT domain containing an
NT 4.0 Server.

The XP clients are using shares from the NT Server. In
particular the users have roaming profiles and home
directories stored on the NT Server (with My Documents
redirected to their home directory).

When the users logout you always see a file
synchronisation dialog (presumably sync'ing their offline
folders). Warnings appear in the event log that you
shouldn't use offline folders with Roaming Profiles, and
that you should disable Offline Caching on the Roaming
Profile share. I can see how to do this if the server was
running W2K - but not if it is an NT Server - there is no
equivalent dialog that I can find?

AFAIK, you can't control this on an NT4 server.
How do I disable Offline Caching on a share on an NT
Server? I'd like to disable it on both the Roaming Profile
and Home Directory Shares. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I have tried using GPOs to disable offline folders for the
users / XP clients - without any success yet (although
there are some GPOs I haven't tried). But it seems better
to me to disable caching just for this NT Server? The
stuff I've read in the 2003 Deployment Kit seems to
suggest that a lot of the GPO disable settings don't
affect a share with Offline Caching enabled anyway.

I think you need to use policies for this - might want to post in
m.p.windows.group_policy, as I'm sure you aren't the only one to desire
this.

Bob Qin [MSFT]

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your posting here.

By default, the Caching option is enabled in Windows XP computer. To
disable the Caching option, please try these steps:

1. Double-click My Computer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

3. Click the Offline Files tab, and then click to clear the Enable Offline
Files check box.

The Caching option can also be enabled or disabled by using the Group
Policy snap-in: In the Computer Configuration/Administrative
Templates/Network/Offline Files folder use the Enable policy.

If you need any help about using group poliy in your Windows 2000 Active
Directory, I would like to recommend that you submit the post in the
following newsgroups.

microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy
microsoft.public.windows.group_policy

I believe that you can get more informative suggestion there.

Have a nice day!

Regards,
Bob Qin
Microsoft Online Partner Support