Offline Files switching to 'working offline' mode

Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2 x64
Client: Windows XP Professional SP2 x86

Problem: User is set up to use a redirected desktop and my documents as well
as roaming profile (app data folder is part of a roaming profile). Client has
Offline files turned on. The problem occurs when a client is trying to access
a DFS-based shared resource. As soon as the user goes into one of DFS targets
offline files switches to 'working offline' mode and the user is unable to
access any resources. DFS share is using Access Based Enumeration (although
it doesn't work as expected on the whole DFS namespace).

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I am not sure if you refer to the following article to implement Windows
Server 2003 ABE:
907458: How to implement Windows Server 2003 Access-based Enumeration in a
DFS environment
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;907458

I cannot find any similar issues to address your concern. You may post to
server newsgroup to see if other peers have any experience about this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Offline Files switching to 'working offline' mode
| Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:16:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2 x64
| Client: Windows XP Professional SP2 x86
|
| Problem: User is set up to use a redirected desktop and my documents as
well
| as roaming profile (app data folder is part of a roaming profile). Client
has
| Offline files turned on. The problem occurs when a client is trying to
access
| a DFS-based shared resource. As soon as the user goes into one of DFS
targets
| offline files switches to 'working offline' mode and the user is unable
| access any resources. DFS share is using Access Based Enumeration
(although
| it doesn't work as expected on the whole DFS namespace).

Can ABE be affecting Offline files behaviour? E.g. Offline files checks if
all the shares are online and then ABE hides shares that are inaccessible,
Offline files thinks that the whole DFS namespace is unavailable.

I've found several posts in google groups about similar Offline files
problem, but no solution. Will try to post to server newsgroup.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

I am not sure if you refer to the following article to implement Windows
Server 2003 ABE:
907458: How to implement Windows Server 2003 Access-based Enumeration in a
DFS environment
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;907458

I cannot find any similar issues to address your concern. You may post to
server newsgroup to see if other peers have any experience about this issue.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Offline Files switching to 'working offline' mode
| Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:16:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2 x64
| Client: Windows XP Professional SP2 x86
|
| Problem: User is set up to use a redirected desktop and my documents as
well
| as roaming profile (app data folder is part of a roaming profile). Client
has
| Offline files turned on. The problem occurs when a client is trying to
access
| a DFS-based shared resource. As soon as the user goes into one of DFS
targets
| offline files switches to 'working offline' mode and the user is unable
| access any resources. DFS share is using Access Based Enumeration
(although
| it doesn't work as expected on the whole DFS namespace).

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello,

Based on my research, this may be a problem. Thanks for your understanding
and cooperation.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security <http://www.microsoft.com/security>

| From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Offline Files switching to 'working offline' mode
| Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 03:24:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| Can ABE be affecting Offline files behaviour? E.g. Offline files checks
if
| all the shares are online and then ABE hides shares that are
inaccessible,
| Offline files thinks that the whole DFS namespace is unavailable.
|
| I've found several posts in google groups about similar Offline files
| problem, but no solution. Will try to post to server newsgroup.
|
| ""Ken Zhao [MSFT]"" wrote:
|
| > Hello,
| >
| > Thank you for using newsgroup!
| >
| > I am not sure if you refer to the following article to implement
Windows
| > Server 2003 ABE:
| > 907458: How to implement Windows Server 2003 Access-based Enumeration
in a
| > DFS environment
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;907458
| >
| > I cannot find any similar issues to address your concern. You may post
| > server newsgroup to see if other peers have any experience about this
issue.

| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

<http://www.microsoft.com/security>
| > ====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > ====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?QW5kcml1cyBNYXplaWth?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Offline Files switching to 'working offline' mode
| > | Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 23:16:02 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
| > |
| > | Server: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard SP2 x64
| > | Client: Windows XP Professional SP2 x86
| > |
| > | Problem: User is set up to use a redirected desktop and my documents
as
| > well
| > | as roaming profile (app data folder is part of a roaming profile).
Client
| > has
| > | Offline files turned on. The problem occurs when a client is trying
| > access
| > | a DFS-based shared resource. As soon as the user goes into one of DFS
| > targets
| > | offline files switches to 'working offline' mode and the user is
unable
| > | access any resources. DFS share is using Access Based Enumeration
| > (although
| > | it doesn't work as expected on the whole DFS namespace).
| > |

Ken,

removing ABE (uninstalling the program) fixed the Offline Files problem. Is
there a hotfix or workaround available on this issue? Is it impossible to use
Offline Files, DFS and ABE altogether?

Andrius

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Andrius,

Based on my research, ABE is not supported for use with DFS Namespaces to
hide DFS links however, ABE can be used with DFS to hide the files in the
folders within the DFS Shares.

To have ABE work correctly within a DFS environment, the following steps
need to be taken:

Use the cacls utility that ships with Windows, to set the appropriate
Access Control List (ACL) entries on the DFS links. When using CACLS, the
local path of the DFS Link should be specified in the command argument and
the UNC Path that is used in naming the DFS Links and Shares.
(For example: apply cacls against C:\UserStorage\Users\Johndoe NOT
\\Server1\Users\Johndoe).

One recommended way to set the ACL on the link is to make the ACL on the
link should be the same as the ACL on the target of the link. So if
\\dfs-share\users\johndoe is a DFS link to the target
\\server1\share1\johndoe then the recommendation is to apply the ACL on the
\\dfs-share\users\johndoe to be the same as the ACL on
\\server1\share1\johndoe. If the target is on a Windows machine, then the
cacls tool can be used to examine the ACL. For more information on cacls,
type "cacls /?" at the command prompt.