DirectX

R

Randin

I've been checking into the latest DirectX software (10 is the one I've been reading about).

Anyway, it seems that it will only supported by ATI Radeon or Nvidea cards.

So, my question would be, can I install this on my system (without one of the above cards) or should I stay with DirectX 9?

Thanks.

D

Donald

Is that sometime required by one of your programs or hardware? Otherwise, DirectX 9 is fine with your application environment.
I've been checking into the latest DirectX software (10 is the one I've been reading about).

So, my question would be, can I install this on my system (without one of the above cards) or should I stay with DirectX 9?

Thanks.

B

Bob Knowlden

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

DirectX 10 is only officially supported under Vista or Windows 7 (I'm referring only to consumer versions; I don't know about server OSes). DX10 is included in both OSes.

You don't have the option to install DX10 on XP.

You could run Vista or Win7 with any graphics card that supports DX 9.0c (shader model 2), and still get full Aero Glass support, I've read. I'm unaware of any applcations that require DX10, aside from a few games. (Those games generally can be run under DX9 as well, so there's not much loss there.)

Actually, the latest DirectX is 10.1. AMD/ATI has cards that support it at the moment. nVidia does not.

Thanks.

Ask a Question