DirectPlay8 Registry Entries

ck

I'm trying to apply SP2 to a XP Home machine and it is failing. I think the
problem is with the DirectPlay8 registry entries.

I cannot access any of them in any mode. I just get an Access Denied
message. Won't let me change permissions on them either. System restore also
failed on all available retore points.

Is the registry toast? Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed ?

TIA

Chris A. Kusmierz

Jason Tan

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you are unable to install Service Pack 2 on Windows XP
Home and get an Access Denied message. If I have misunderstood your
concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
article for your reference:

873148 You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to
install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=873148

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "ck" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: DirectPlay8 Registry Entries
| Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:44:23 GMT
|
| I'm trying to apply SP2 to a XP Home machine and it is failing. I think
the
| problem is with the DirectPlay8 registry entries.
|
| I cannot access any of them in any mode. I just get an Access Denied
| message. Won't let me change permissions on them either. System restore
also
| failed on all available retore points.
|
| Is the registry toast? Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed ?
|
| TIA
|
| Chris A. Kusmierz

Chris Kusmierz

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting!

I understand that you are unable to install Service Pack 2 on Windows XP
Home and get an Access Denied message. If I have misunderstood your
concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
article for your reference:

873148 You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to
install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=873148

Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "ck" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| Subject: DirectPlay8 Registry Entries
| Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:44:23 GMT

pamkiller2.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trndny01.POSTED!b0f2775b!not-for-mail

| I'm trying to apply SP2 to a XP Home machine and it is failing. I think
the
| problem is with the DirectPlay8 registry entries.
|
| I cannot access any of them in any mode. I just get an Access Denied
| message. Won't let me change permissions on them either. System restore
also
| failed on all available retore points.
|
| Is the registry toast? Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed ?
|
| TIA
|
| Chris A. Kusmierz

The referenced article explains how to change permissions on a registry key.
I have tried this and XP will not allow the changes.

Any other ideas?

Chris A. Kusmierz

Jason Tan

Hi Chris,

Thanks for update!

Based on the current situation, please help me know whether the exact error
message is "Service Pack setup has failed.Access is denied" or others when
you are installing the Service Pack 2. According to my research, it could
be caused by the incorrect registry permissions. I suggest you reset the
owner then reset the permissions on
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Security. Then
please attempt to install SP2 again. If it still do not allow the changes.
Please help me know if there is any error message.

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Chris Kusmierz" <ckusmierz(at)verizon(dot)net>
| Subject: Re: DirectPlay8 Registry Entries
| Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:52:01 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|

| > Hi Chris,
| >
| > Thanks for posting!
| >
| > I understand that you are unable to install Service Pack 2 on Windows XP
| > Home and get an Access Denied message. If I have misunderstood your
| > concerns, please feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Based on my research, I would like to provide you with the following
| > article for your reference:
| >
| > 873148 You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try to
| > install Windows XP Service Pack 2
| > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=873148
| >
| > Hope the information helps. If there is anything that is unclear, please
| > feel free to let me know.
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Jason Tan
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| >
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| >
| > =====================================================
| rights.
|
| > --------------------
| > | From: "ck" <[email protected]>
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| > | Subject: DirectPlay8 Registry Entries
| > | Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 01:44:23 GMT

TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!newsfeed00.sul.t-online.de!t-onli

ne.de!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!cyclone1.gnilink.net!s

| > pamkiller2.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trndny01.POSTED!b0f2775b!not-for-mail
| > |
| > | I'm trying to apply SP2 to a XP Home machine and it is failing. I
think
| > the
| > | problem is with the DirectPlay8 registry entries.
| > |
| > | I cannot access any of them in any mode. I just get an Access Denied
| > | message. Won't let me change permissions on them either. System
restore
| > also
| > | failed on all available retore points.
| > |
| > | Is the registry toast? Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed ?
| > |
| > | TIA
| > |
| > | Chris A. Kusmierz