Direct3D Problems With Halo

Jonathan

I'm having a problem playing Halo for PC. After
installation I try to play it and I get a message saying
my video hardware isn't basically up to snuff, and that I
can upgrade my computer by contacting my manufacturer, but
you can choose the option "Continue Anyways" Now when I
hit this it says "Direct 3D-Fatal Error, there was a
problem with direct3d and make sure you have your hardware
acceleration enabled, and to check dxdiag.

So I do, and everything is fine, except when I choose to
test my Direct3d everything is okay up until DirectX 8,
then after that it says it skipped 9+ becuase my drivers
don't support it, and to see if your manufacturer has any
available drivers.

And thats it...can anyone help me? I have DirectX 9b
installed, i guess I just need a driver from my
manufacturer? I have a HP pavilion ze1210 notebook. thanks.

Chris H.

See if your graphics card manufacturer has updated drivers on their web site
and install them according to the instructions. If you'll look in your
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo directory, you'll find the Readme file
which gives configuration information/requirements on graphics cards.

I too have this problem and have an SIS graphics card which seems to conflict with, well everything. Sometimes, if it's in a good mood, my computer will get me to the" continue in safe mode" to where i can go that route and still play. Now I can't get to that screen either. Any suggestions

----- Chris H. wrote: ----

See if your graphics card manufacturer has updated drivers on their web sit
and install them according to the instructions. If you'll look in you
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo directory, you'll find the Readme fil
which gives configuration information/requirements on graphics cards

Chris H.

If you don't have a proper graphics card, then there isn't much you can do.
There is a lot of support information on Bungie's web site:
http://support.bungie.com/ including many links. This Microsoft Knowledge
Base article shows the minimum system requirements:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829479 Halo is super-intensive on
graphics, and unless a graphics card matches up, you're going to have
problems.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

Kranial-Kreme said:
I too have this problem and have an SIS graphics card which seems to
conflict with, well everything. Sometimes, if it's in a good mood, my
computer will get me to the" continue in safe mode" to where i can go that
route and still play. Now I can't get to that screen either. Any
suggestions?

Tommy

The SiS Xaber Card series is very capable to handel the
graphics of just about every game on the market including
Halo. The problem is this SiS is pathetic when it comes
to support so there are no drivers that work with DirectX
9.0b and I don't think there ever will be. As far as I
can tell the main problem is when Open GL is trying to be
initialized using DirectX 9.0b.

My question is, is there any way to find generic 3D
drivers that can run DirectX 9.0b.

Thanks,
Tommy

Tommy

The SiS Xaber Card series is very capable to handel the
graphics of just about every game on the market including
Halo. The problem is this SiS is pathetic when it comes
to support so there are no drivers that work with DirectX
9.0b and I don't think there ever will be. As far as I
can tell the main problem is when Open GL is trying to be
initialized using DirectX 9.0b.

My question is, is there any way to find generic 3D
drivers that can run DirectX 9.0b.

Thanks,
Tommy

Jimmy S.

Hi Tommy,

I don't see your SiS Xaber card on the Supported Cards List at:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829478#7 possibly because I'm
not able to find any confirmation anywhere (yes I googled it) that
your card has Hardware Transform and Lighting support. Sorry.

OpenGL isn't used for Halo, so that's not part of the problem.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User