Direct X8.1, Missing Registry keys for DPNET.DLL, Fix 819696 downloads over & over

G

Have been experiencing some problems whereby my pc suddenly goes crazy and it's all down to my
nVidia GeForce4Ti4600 display adapter driver & Direct x. Windows update now keeps downloading same fix (819696) over & over too!!!

Got Dx 8.1 in Master of Orion bundle & possibly did upgrade, via windows update for security fixes to get to that level..
Now trying to run Civ III which needs Direct X8.0.
Seems to work best if Hardware acceleration on (settings/advanced/troubleshoot tab for desktop properties).
Game freezes on introductory video, until I set it to max. This is advice in Civ III manual. PC is normally less stable in that mode & more prone to lock ups, so I've been hesitant. Normally had problems in Microsoft Office suite with it set on full...

Loaded latest driver off Windows update site also at advice of Civ II manual. When I tried to use it I lost a lot of functionality & experienced problems not being able to get DXDIAG to work in 3D mode correctly and pc was more unstable. (Nvidia icon disappear from taskbar too).

Now I've removed all drivers and reinstalled the nVidia drivers that aren't on HCL off the nVidia web site.
DIDIAG now says:
"The file nv4_disp.dll is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs. You may be able to get a signed driver from the manufacturer of the hardware device".

No problem - its more stable:

However there have been times when after a couple of days of everything working fine, the pc starts display starts going crazy. It's almost like the pc starts going into a something reminiscent of a degauzing fit. If I save game, I can sometimes restore it & suddenly everything works fine again. But there have been times when this has been more severe. If I try to modify the acceleration, it would normally have rectified problem in past. However when I've tried to do this twice recently, system freezes. If I try & reboot I get a black screen where you would normally click icon to login, but the mouse pointer works. End up having to boot pc in safe mode, and try & restore to earlier configuration. Made the mistake of last safe install & had to re-apply all fixes first time. Now every time I go to Windows update, I keep getting
"Security Update for Microsoft Windows (819696)" is ready to be installed over & over. It;'s like it doesn't take.
Now I notice DXDIAG says:
The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Modem Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 Serial Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 IPX Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
The registry information for the service provider 'DirectPlay8 TCP/IP Service Provider' is missing or damaged.
These entries are all for "dpnet.dll". There must be some installer program that goes & sets up registry keys based on data in the Network Connection setup on my pc.

1) Does anyone know either how to hard code these values or preferably is there a setup program I can run that will automate this step.
2) I can see various versions of dpnet.dll in
C:\WINDOWS\system32 & C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 - Version 5.1.2600.1106.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache - Version 5.3.0.900
Which one that should go with Direct X 8.1?

I think it may be this that is causing the Widnows update to get confused. It doesn't to a good job of fixing registry that's for sure!!!!
Any ideas
Many thanks.

Ask a Question