Windows XP Digital music

Reaction score
Hi could anyone offer their advice or opinion on copying music please. I am new to digital music & am on the verge of buying a MP3 player, which I have short-listed to an I-Pod or Rio Karma. I have started copying my CD collection to my PC using WMP but find it a bit user unfriendly-maybe its just me! I downloaded i-tunes & found it so much easier to add to the library & to use. The snag is I would have to go for the i-pod unless their is another comparable, quality MP3 player that is compatible with i-tunes. I would welcome any opinions.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
cdex. Free.

dbPowerAmp. Free. You want the Music Coverter and the Aux add-on module comes in handy for recording from Vinyl & Casettes.

Exact Audio Copy. Free. Slow, but very accurate.

I've been using dbPowerAmp for years now with good results. I've heard lots of good about cdex and Quadophile (PC Review Moderator here) swears by Exact Audio Copy, I do believe.

Last edited:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
If you are keen to copy music/convert music to MP3 from your own collection of CD's to be used on your own computer than you can take the following two routes:

dBPowerAMP: As Floppybootstomp has suggeted, it is a very user friendly program and not much input is required from the user. It does most of the things automatically for you and does it very well. This also is the quickest way of converting your music to MP3. I always recommend this software to those who want things done quickly and without going into too much detail.

Exact Audio Copy (EAC): This is my preferred choice always for converting my collection to MP3 for my own listening pleasure on my PC when I am working. However, you will need the latest Lame encoder plugin and you need to configure the program to do the conversion to MP3 for you. Some time back I created a thread giving full information on how to go about using EAC+Lame encoder and enjoying the best quality MP3's. This combination produces very accurate conversions and I have personally tested it extensively and so did many audiophiles who use nothing but the combination for creating MP3's when required.

Here is the link to the thread I created which you can use and see for yourself how good they sound on your system.

Highest Quality MP3's

Enjoy!;)

Ask a Question