Difficulty getting two XP computers to talk to each other

G

Hello all,

I have an HP desktop and HP laptop directly connected by Ethernet cable. Both are running Windows XP. Back before the Blaster Worm hit, I was having no difficulty getting the two computers to talk to each other. But ever since I install a series of Windows XP critical updates, I can no longer get the two computers to see each other. I've run and re-run the Set-up a Home Network wizard, but to no avail. I've tried doing searches for the other computer and even pinging the IP address 192.168.0.1 or 2 and it isn't working.

Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

-Tom

G

Greetings Tom,

Ensure the XP's firewall is disabled on local area networks and all other firewalls are removed while troubleshooting. If you have connected the machines via a router, run the Network Wizard and tell it to connect through a Residental Gateway. If you are still having problems, open the command prompt and type "ipconfig" or "ipconfig/all". Make sure they have a common subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. If they are different, they are on different networks.

----- Tom Galvin wrote: -----

Hello all,

I have an HP desktop and HP laptop directly connected by Ethernet cable. Both are running Windows XP. Back before the Blaster Worm hit, I was having no difficulty getting the two computers to talk to each other. But ever since I install a series of Windows XP critical updates, I can no longer get the two computers to see each other. I've run and re-run the Set-up a Home Network wizard, but to no avail. I've tried doing searches for the other computer and even pinging the IP address 192.168.0.1 or 2 and it isn't working.

Can anyone assist? Thanks in advance.

-Tom

Ask a Question