Differential backup?

Steve

Re the Windows Backup utility.

I performed a Normal backup of my data files, which
created a .bkf file around 4 gigs.

Then I performed a Differential backup of the same data
files - creating a .bkf file around 3 gigs.

Shouldn't the Differentical backup file be much smaller
than that? (Actually, since I made no changes to the
original files at all, shouldn't it be almost zero ?)

This is important, because the size of the Differential
file will determine how I proceed with my backup regimen.

Many thanks.

Direct email much appreciated: (e-mail address removed)

Carey Frisch [MVP]

A differential backup copies files created or changed since the last
normal or incremental backup. It does not mark files as having been
backed up (in other words, the archive attribute is not cleared). If you
are performing a combination of normal and differential backups,
restoring files and folders requires that you have the last normal as
well as the last differential backup.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP