dialup connection rejected

R

Richard in AZ

I am helping a church member with a dialup connection problem.

Background.
Windows XP SP2
256 MB of RAM
IE and OE 6.
Internet connection was working until several days ago.
(She is not sure just when it quit working, she does not check her mail every day.)

Problem.
The dialup connection completes, then checking proxy, then returns the following error.
"error 629, connection terminated by host computer."

What I have tried so far.
I verified with the ISP that the correct user name and password was being used in the dialup.
The ISP tech stated it was because they were having trouble with the phone number used locally.
However, I made a new dialup on her computer, using my user name, my password and the same phone
number and the connection was not rejected and rock solid.
I even removed her dialup, rebooted the computer and made a new dialup with her username and
password.
Same error message.
When connecting with my dialup, she can use her OE for email and can surf the net.

Additional calls to the ISP tech support only resulted in "We will elevate the problem to senior
level".
That means the "outsourced tech support" will send a trouble ticket to the on-site computer tech
located at the server computers in Phoenix, AZ. The user is 87 years old and very stressed out
over not being able to send or receive family email.

B

bojimbo26

I am helping a church member with a dialup connection problem.

Background.
Windows XP SP2
256 MB of RAM
IE and OE 6.
Internet connection was working until several days ago.
(She is not sure just when it quit working, she does not check her mail every day.)

Problem.
The dialup connection completes, then checking proxy, then returns the following error.
"error 629, connection terminated by host computer."

What I have tried so far.
I verified with the ISP that the correct user name and password was being used in the dialup.
The ISP tech stated it was because they were having trouble with the phone number used locally.
However, I made a new dialup on her computer, using my user name, my password and the same phone
number and the connection was not rejected and rock solid.
I even removed her dialup, rebooted the computer and made a new dialup with her username and
password.
Same error message.
When connecting with my dialup, she can use her OE for email and can surf the net.

Additional calls to the ISP tech support only resulted in "We will elevate the problem to senior
level".
That means the "outsourced tech support" will send a trouble ticket to the on-site computer tech
located at the server computers in Phoenix, AZ. The user is 87 years old and very stressed out
over not being able to send or receive family email.

Make sure all physical connections are ok , then do a system restore
to a day before it happened .

R

Richard in AZ

The physical connections are okay, note that I could make a dialer with my user name, password and
connect just fine.
Then she could access her mail with her account settings, both through OE and the ISP webmail. So
we know her user name and password are okay.
Unfortunately, the friend does not remember when the problem started.
I will try a system restore, but it appears that the ISP computer is rejecting her connection.

R

Richard in AZ

We have now tried the System Restore and that did not fix it.
It has to be the ISP computer.

Ask a Question