dial-up connection won't work for download

Harry

I have a problem with an old Notebook where Win2000 is installed.

When conencting the Notebook to the network via LAN cable all is
working perfect (browsing and also downloading my mails from a POP3
server).
But when I connect to the internet via modem I'm not able to download
any mail. It seems that there is only an connection in one direction.
Sending emails works fine - downloading mails is very, very slow (a
few 100 bytes per second)or times out. Also browsing with IE6 is
impossible. Only sometimes I can download a whole page.

Can it be a virus? I checked the machine with Stinger.exe and also
with AntiVir. Nothing found.

I also updated Win2k to have the latest patches.

I would be happy getting any hint.
Thanx.

Sergio Moreno

Hi there,

You want to contact your modem manufacturer to make sure that you are running the latest modem driver.
Also, check the dial up connectoid configuration, uncheck any components that are not needed (i.e you only need Internet Protocol TCP/IP)

Reboot your Windows 2000 Pro PC into safe mode with networking support and then try it again.
You can also use MSCONFIG.exe to clean boot Windows. You can get a copy of MSCONFIG.exe from Windows XP
--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (Harry)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
Subject: dial-up connection won't work for download
Date: 27 Apr 2004 12:55:23 -0700

--
Sergio Moreno
Microsoft Windows Networking

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Phillip Windell

In the TCP/IP Properties of the Dial-up connection settings you need to
disable the item that reads "Use gateway of remote network".