DFS Clients

Brian P. Hammer

MSDN Final Release

Weird problem. I have two Vista test clients. When they connect to a DFS
replica, it does not always pick the one in the same subnet or closest one?
All our XP clients connect to the proper DFS Share. The DFS servers are
2003 Std Editions with only two sets in the replica. Any ideas?

I can connect directly to the server share without any issues.

Thanks,
Brian

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Hi Brian,

A good place to ask DFS questions is the
microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs newsgroup (for future reference).

DFS clients don't necessarily "choose" which target to connect to. They
connect to the first target in the referral, or, if that target isn't
available, they try the next one and so on. Are your Vista clients using IP
addresses that map to a proper site? DFS uses the client's IP address to
determine the site the client is in and then will order the targets in the
referral appropriately.

Brian P. Hammer

Thanks Jill, thought I'd post here as it seems to only be a Vista issue and
not a server or XP client issue.

The clients receive their IP info from DHCP. DHCP and Wins are properly
configured and the clients receive info from the correct site. For example,
192.168.20.x is in Texas but always looks to the DFS referral in another
state and subnet. No other clients in Texas connect to the other referral?

Thanks,
Brian

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

I don't think that the changes in Vista would cause clients to go out of
site when the server is the one handing out referrals. I'll check with a
developer just to make sure, but in the meantime, you might want to check
our techref guide's section on why clients go to unexpected targets. The URL
is
http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...1634-4da6-b820-537341d349061033.mspx?mfr=true
and you'll need to search for "Situations in Which Clients Access Unexpected
Targets"

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Brian P. Hammer

Thanks. Please let me know if you hear anything. I'll review the technet.

Brian

Alexander Suhovey

Just to confirm an issue - I see same problem in my AD environment (Windows
2003 forrest) where XP SP2 clients always choose a working DFS target in
same subnet (site) while Vista ones pick up HQ's targets.

I've noticed it when I started adding VIsta hosts to the domain and after
rebopoot they experienced long boot delays while software installation
policies were applied.

Even setting correct target as active manually in Windows Explorer while
browsing DFS share from Vista doesn't seem to solve this problem since it
doen't seem to have any eefect, meaning, new target settings do not persist.

Brian P. Hammer

Same problem I am having. If I hard code in IP address, DNS, & WINS to the
Vista client, all is fine. I have been over and over the servers and all is
fine in the configuration.

Thanks,
Brian

Brian P. Hammer

Cross Posted To: microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs

Has anyone in the server group heard of this:

Have a Win2003 domain with two sites, one in 192.168.20.x and the other in
192.168.100.x with DFS using full mesh. All the clients are XP with the
latest packs installed. DNS, DHCP and Wins.

I have two Vista clients in each site and they receive their IP via DHCP as
well. They are the only machines in the sites that do not always pick the
correct DFS target when configured with DHCP. If I hard wire the IP
information, it seems to resolve the issues. It seems that I am no longer
the only person seeing this.

I have verified that the clients get the correct IP for the site and the
severs are in different sites...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Initial responses to my email indicate that this is likely not a DFS issue.
Something else is likely afoot. Remember that it's the *server* that's
handing out referrals based on the target's and the client's site. The
client just picks the first target in the list. Something is causing the
server to sort these targets incorrectly for Vista clients.

I'll let you know if I hear any other responses. In the meantime, I'll point
you all to the following guidance:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/Windo...1634-4da6-b820-537341d349061033.mspx?mfr=true
and you'll need to search for "Situations in Which Clients Access Unexpected
Targets"

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller said:
I'll re-ping the developer I asked earlier.

rights.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies?
Visit our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

One person had this suggestion: "If they enable IPv6 without IPv6 subnet
settings in AD, they may get this problem."

Were referral responses you got sorted correctly? For example, you have two
sites, site1 and site2. A link with two targets in each site. When you access
the link from a client in site1, target in site1 should be listed before
target in site2. (You can use explorer or "dfsutil.exe /pktinfo" to find out
if they're sorted correctly or not.)

If referral responses had sorted correctly, but client still tried to access
2nd target in site2, it's a client problem. If referral responses are sorted
randomly, you may want to check your AD or network settings.

Brian P. Hammer

Alan,

Thanks for the response. Looking at the DFS tab, it shows the proper order
of the DFS referral with clients site being at the top. If I highlight the
correct site and click on set active, sometimes I get an error message that
says "parameter is invalid" and nothing changes. Other times, it will
select the active site and all works just fine for a few minutes and then
looking at the DFS tab again, it shows the wrong referral as active, all
with the client sitting unused. No real rhyme or reason I can sort out.

I have tried mapping a shortcut right to the DFS share
\\mydomain.local\documents as well as mapping a drive to the same location
all with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian P. Hammer

Hi Jill,

Hmmm, IP 6 is enabled by default. I am out of the office for a couple days
but will enable and try that. Will let you know.

Thanks,
Brian

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

We're pretty sure it's an IPv6 issue. Here's the comment from one of the
developers:

If they have IPv6 enabled on their Windows 2003 root targets, that is not
supported. A Vista client would trigger this for the first time since Vista
automatically registers an IPv6 interface. If the root target also has IPv6
enabled, IPv6 will be used for communication between the two. At DFS this
won't work since it assumes an IPv4 address format. Result: mis-sorted
referrals.

Easiest way to diagnose this would be to "ipconfig /all" on their roots. If
they claim an IPv6 address, this is it.

Alexander Suhovey

Hey,

I was out of NG for some time and boy so many answers. Thank you for
suggestions, Jill. I didn't check this yet but IPv6 really sounds like it is
the cause. I'll check that out and reply with results later this week (will
be busy at Platform 2007 in Moscow for the next two days).

Brian P. Hammer

Alan,

The sites list in the correct order or cost. The current site the computer
belongs to, shows as top. I will try disabling IP 6 on the clients and see
what happens. I am out for the next couple days. Will let you know.

Thanks,
Brian

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

No other ideas from me at this point. There might be settings elsewhere that
need to be adjusted. Unless someone else chimes in, your best bet is to call
product support.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

Alexander Suhovey

(warning: long post below)

OK, back at work and here's what I've found so far:

1. IPv6 doesn't seem to be the problem in my case since none of the
roots and targets (windows 2003 SP1/R2) have IPv6 enabled and disabling
it on Vista client doesn't seem to have any effect.

2. Oddily enough the problem seems to affect one particular DFS folder
while several others with same servers as targets do not show this
behaviour.

So I copied dfsutil from XP SP2 Support Tools to Vista Business RTM
client and following is a sequence of commands I was using to
troubleshoot the problem (names changed):

====================================
C:\>dfsutil /pktflush
EntryPath=[*]
Done processing this command.

C:\>dir /b \\domain.com\shared
PublicSoftware
Backup

C:\>dfsutil /pktinfo
--mup.sys--
1 entries...
Entry: \domain.com\shared
ShortEntry: \domain.com\shared
Expires in 292 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x81 ( REFERRAL_SVC DFS )
0:[\localserver-01\shared] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localserver-02\shared] State:0x00
2:[\remoteserver-01\shared] State:0x100 ( )

Done processing this command.

C:\>dir /b \\domain.com\shared\PublicSoftware
Office
Tools

C:\>dir /b \\domain.com\shared\Backup
Backup1
Backup2

C:\>dfsutil /pktinfo
--mup.sys--
3 entries...
Entry: \localserver-01\shared\PublicSoftware
ShortEntry: \localserver-01\shared\PublicSoftware
Expires in 1788 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x1 ( DFS )
0:[\localfs-01\PublicSoftware] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localfs-02\PublicSoftware] State:0x00
2:[\remotefs-01\PublicSoftware] State:0x100 ( )

Entry: \localserver-01\shared\Backup
ShortEntry: \localserver-01\shared\Backup
Expires in 1797 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x1 ( DFS )
0:[\localfs-02\Backup] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localfs-01\Backup] State:0x00
2:[\remotefs-01\Backup] State:0x100 ( )

Entry: \domain.com\shared
ShortEntry: \domain.com\shared
Expires in 273 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x81 ( REFERRAL_SVC DFS )
0:[\localserver-01\shared] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localserver-02\shared] State:0x00
2:[\remoteserver-01\shared] State:0x100 ( )

Done processing this command.
====================================

So far so good. Correct listing order, correct targets are selected.
However, when I try to open \\domain.com\shared\PublicSoftware in
Windows Explorer instead of dir'ing it from command line, it opens
slowly as if accessing the share over WAN link and right after it I get
following output from dfsutil:

====================================
C:\>dfsutil /pktinfo
--mup.sys--
3 entries...
Entry: \localserver-01\shared\PublicSoftware
ShortEntry: \localserver-01\shared\PublicSoftware
Expires in 1770 seconds
UseCount: 2 Type:0x1 ( DFS )
0:[\localfs-01\PublicSoftware] State:0x100 ( )
1:[\localfs-02\PublicSoftware] State:0x00
2:[\remotefs-01\PublicSoftware] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )

Entry: \localserver-01\shared\Backup
ShortEntry: \localserver-01\shared\Backup
Expires in 1779 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x1 ( DFS )
0:[\localfs-02\Backup] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localfs-01\Backup] State:0x00
2:[\remotefs-01\Backup] State:0x100 ( )

Entry: \domain.com\shared
ShortEntry: \domain.com\shared
Expires in 254 seconds
UseCount: 0 Type:0x81 ( REFERRAL_SVC DFS )
0:[\localserver-01\shared] State:0x110 ( ACTIVE )
1:[\localserver-02\shared] State:0x00
2:[\remoteserver-01\shared] State:0x100 ( )

Done processing this command.

C:\>
====================================

On the other hand, opening \\domain.com\shared\Backup in Explorer does
work as expected (local target is active). So, this is either Windows
Explorer problem or something I've missed while checking DFS/share
settings for those folders.
Go figure...

Note also that on the XP SP2 client dfsutil shows different state codes
for targets and it shows DFS folder entries as
"\domain.com\shared\backup" as opposed to
"\localserver-01\shared\backup" in output above.

--
Alexander Suhovey

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Brian and Alexander, we'd like to get network captures from you. I have
instructions, but it's probably easiest to do this via email. Please contact
me using my address (minus "online.")