Desktop

My wife and each have a user account; when I download a new program it
appears on both our desktops. When she removes the shortcut form her desktop,
mine disappears.

Can these be disconnected so we can each have a customized desktop? How?

Thanks

Nepatsfan

"sherylleonard" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
My wife and each have a user account; when I download a new
program it appears on both our desktops. When she removes
the shortcut form her desktop, mine disappears.

Can these be disconnected so we can each have a customized
desktop? How?

Thanks

By "download a new program" I'm guessing you mean when you
install a new program.
If that's correct, here's why you're seeing that behavior.

Your desktop is a combination of these two folders,

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
C:\Documents and Settings\"YOURACCOUNT"\Desktop

Your wife's desktop is a combination of these two folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
C:\Documents and Settings\"HERACCOUNT"\Desktop

What's happening is that when you install a program, it's
placing a shortcut in the All Users\Desktop folder. All you
have to do is move that shortcut into the "YOURACCOUNT"\Desktop
folder. Once it's in that folder, it will not appear on your
wife's desktop and she won't delete it.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

NewScience

Are you and your wife the same Account Type ... both administrator types?
If so, you both have Delete access to the All Users\Desktop folder and can
delete the shortcuts.

Wesley Vogel

And if one of them deletes a shortcut from All Users\Desktop then the
shortcut gets deleted for all users.

The Desktop you see is a combination of two folders.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Desktop

Or...

%userprofile%\Desktop
and
%allusersprofile%\Desktop

All Users Desktop: Refers to the desktop common for all the users.

User Desktop: Refers to the desktop of that user.

[[The most frequent NameSpaceExtension one sees is the desktop, which shows
the contents of two folders. ]] David Candy

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Stubbo_of_Oz

My wife and each have a user account; when I download a new program it
appears on both our desktops. When she removes the shortcut form her desktop,
mine disappears.

Can these be disconnected so we can each have a customized desktop? How?

Desktop items can be stored in two folders (or more if more than one
user):-

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Desktop

Installation of programs can place a desktop item in either the "All
Users" folder in which case you and your wife can see them, or in the
"User name" folder for the user that installed the program, in which
case only that user can see it.

If a user deletes a desktop item that is in the "All Users" desktop
folder then it vanishes for all users.

I don't know of any way of making an installation put it into the area
you want it but after you instal you could go into these folders
yourself and put the item where you want it.

Same sort of thing happens with the start menu items.

NewScience

A Limited User cannot delete a All Users\Desktop shortcut link if the
permissions are set correctly.

Stubbo_of_Oz

A Limited User cannot delete a All Users\Desktop shortcut link if the
permissions are set correctly.

Yes, but obvioulsy, either his wife has admin privelegious or
permissions not set correctly as she WAS deleting - but I did not want
to make it sound too complicated for him.