DESKTOP SHORTCUT FAVICONS

e.gCertain Desktop shortcuts change from the "favicon" to the generic I.E.
icons or visa versa. All shortcuts involved are generated from I.E. Web
sites, others are not affected. INFO: Windows XP Home edition SP2. Three
Users on computer, only one is logged on at any time (Other 2 are Logged Off)
Problem only occurs with User No. 1, User 2 and 3 do not have a problem, and
Have some of the same Favicons on Desktop Shortcuts. Only shortcuts created
while using I.E. are effected. e.g. Map Quest, Google, Fox News ect.
If the Favicon is on Desktop, as soon as you sign off, Log off, restart,ect,
they are changed to generic icons. and am unable to recover them. somtimes
they come back with the mini reboot (when the screen resets inself for any
reason) but in general I lose the Favicon even if I Reboot ect.

I have reviewed other solutions tried them but have not found one that works.

I do sont want to do a FULL SYSTEM RECOVERY which will work

PLEASE HELP H.P. SUPPORT HAS BEEN UTTERLY HELPLESS ( A BUNCH OR IDIOTS
WORKING FOR THEM)

Try this - go into display properties and change your colors [like from 32 to
16 bit]. Allow it to change then go back in and change it back. This
refreshes the icons. This worked for me when mine were goofing up.
jim

Could you please be a little more specific, I remember seeing something about
this but did not try it. Please elaborate where I can find DISPLAY PROPERTIES
to change the colors. Thank You Ward

Nobody said:
[...]

David Candy

They are temporary icons. They are no longer in the cache. If you want them back start IE and refresh the Temporary Internet File cache by typing in an IE address bar,

<site name>/favicon.ico

eg

www.google.com/favicon.bmp

To check the correct thing to type, type notepad in Start Run and drag the icon to notepad's titlebar. It will open and look for

IconFile=http://www.google.com.au/favicon.ico

This loads it into IE (or an icon editor/viewer if you have one) and thus puts it back into the cache.

When redirection happens it can be different to the BaseURL (which was the US Google site - no .au).

Then you need to refresh the Icon Cache - this does all icons. Start - Control Panel - Display - Appearance - Advanced - choose Icon and change it to 31 and ok your way out. Go back and change to 32 (as that is the real size of the icon).

Heirloom

.....or try this dandy little app for keeping the favicons:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=favorg
Heirloom, old and has many favorites