Desktop label for TS clients

michaelt

We have two servers using a load balancing address for
our terminal service clients to log onto. Is there a way
to add a "label" of some kind to the desktop to show to
the user which terminal server they have logged on to?

Tahir Saleem

Hi.

I will recommend u to change the "My Computer" label to %username% on
%computername%

Paste the text bellow in notepad and save it as something.reg

Start text to paste:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}]
"LocalizedString"=hex(2):25,00,55,00,53,00,45,00,52,00,4e,00,41,00,4d,00,45,
00,25,00,20,00,6f,00,6e,00,20,00,25,00,43,00,4f,00,4d,00,50,00,55,00,54,00,4
5,00,52,00,4e,00,41,00,4d,00,45,00,25,00,00,00

End text to paste.

Logg on to ts server as administrator and import the newly created .reg file
by double clicking on the file.

Press "F5" to refresh the desktop. And u will now see that the "My Computer"
label is changed.

You can also change the "Active Title Bar colour"

Add "ActiveTitle" value as REG_SZ under the
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\WinStations\RDP-tcp\UserOverride\Control Panel\Colors" key

and the "Background colour"
By modifyng / adding the value "Background" as REG_SZ under the
"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal
Server\WinStations\RDP-tcp\UserOverride\Control Panel\Colors" key

Tahir Saleem

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: "michaelt" <[email protected]>
Subject: Desktop label for TS clients
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:12:14 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.termserv.clients

We have two servers using a load balancing address for
our terminal service clients to log onto. Is there a way
to add a "label" of some kind to the desktop to show to
the user which terminal server they have logged on to?
-----

Michael,

Since you are load balancing the Terminal Servers I'm going to assume you are using a roaming profile for the users. The
easiest way I can think to do this would be to create a Bit Map (BMP) graphic for each server with the machines name on it.
Use the same file name for each of these BMP files, for example NAME.BMP, and place the file in the same folder structure
on each server, for example the %systemroot% folder which is normally C:\WINNT. Now you can use a logon script to set
the wallpaper for all the users to %systemroot%\NAME.BMP in the REG_EXPAND_SZ value Wallpaper in the registry key
below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General

This will be saved into the user's profile and when they log onto a Terminal Server it will load the local %systemroot%
\NAME.BMP file which contains the name for that server.

If you don't want to do the above you could create your own script or program to get the computer name and then display,
maybe on the Task Bar or System Tray. It could get the computer name from the environment variable
COMPUTERNAME. You could also search the web for a program that already exists that will do this, for example BgInfo
from http://www.sysinternals.com. If you decided to download a program or create one you will need to use the logon script
to get this into the Run key of the user's profile, or maybe put it in the Startup group for the All Users account, in order to start
it when the user logs in.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.