Dell Latitude D630 Graphics problem

Reaction score
Hello, this has been happening a long time since i bought my new laptop. It is a Dell Latitude D630 and out of no where, my computer stops responding and goes into resolution -1 (I looked) This happened in windows and i just moved over to linux ubuntu, i load the operating system and it stop responding and then the screen just shuts off. I went into the Laptop Depot and they said it isnt the graphics card but it was probably the operating system so that is why i changed over. The error message (from windows) is: The igxprd32 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft. When i go to the Microsoft place, it says to update the driver and there is no driver. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! remember, im using Linux Ubuntu 12.04

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Didn't i say, i am running UBUNTU 12.04????
well yes, I would say you did. So, why not start HERE :)

You do know that InHell may, just may, also have drivers, tho' I wouldn't hold my breath on that. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
I tried going there already but i couldnt find anything..... I mostly happens after playing minecraft..., It works fine on my Inspiron 1300 but not on this....... (dell latitude D630)

Reaction score
Hello, this has been happening a long time since i bought my new laptop. It is a Dell Latitude D630 and out of no where, my computer stops responding and goes into resolution -1 (I looked) This happened in windows and i just moved over to linux ubuntu, i load the operating system and it stop responding and then the screen just shuts off. I went into the Laptop Depot and they said it isnt the graphics card but it was probably the operating system so that is why i changed over. The error message (from windows) is: The igxprd32 display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft. When i go to the Microsoft place, it says to update the driver and there is no driver. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! remember, im using Linux Ubuntu 12.04

By the way, i went to the microsoft place while i had the windows operating system on. That is why i changed over to ubuntu.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
By the way, i went to the microsoft place while i had the windows operating system on. That is why i changed over to ubuntu.

Well going to the Microsoft place would have been pretty useless as your laptop uses an Intel chipset with Intel drivers.
I know its a pain, but have you tried reinstalling Ubuntu ? Or maybe go for a better flavour of Linux ?

Reaction score
Well going to the Microsoft place would have been pretty useless as your laptop uses an Intel chipset with Intel drivers.
I know its a pain, but have you tried reinstalling Ubuntu ? Or maybe go for a better flavour of Linux ?

yes i have reinstaled ubuntu and it doesnt matter if i change to any operating system. I can even change to windows 2000 if i want and i will still get this problem... I hate computers that have soo many problems.....:mad: Im sorry if im being a bit hasty but i just want this computer fixed. No hard feelings...

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
yes i have reinstaled ubuntu and it doesnt matter if i change to any operating system. I can even change to windows 2000 if i want and i will still get this problem... I hate computers that have soo many problems.....:mad: Im sorry if im being a bit hasty but i just want this computer fixed. No hard feelings...

No hard feelings taken. I can understand your frustration. The factyou are having the same issue after using different operating systems would suggest to me then that there is some sort of fault with the chipset and not a driver problem.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
J.Naw said:
Hello, this has been happening a long time since i bought my new laptop.....
...yes i have reinstaled ubuntu and it doesnt matter if i change to any operating system. I can even change to windows 2000 if i want and i will still get this problem...
Hello J.Naw, this is just a thought... but seeing that you've tried pretty much all that you reasonably can - perhaps it's time to have a word with the retailer, from whom you purchased your faulty Dell. You should be enjoying your new laptop, not having to fix it.

If you need more guidance about your Consumer Rights, you will find lots of helpful info/guidance here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...merrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194650

Reaction score
No hard feelings taken. I can understand your frustration. The factyou are having the same issue after using different operating systems would suggest to me then that there is some sort of fault with the chipset and not a driver problem.

Yes, Exactly! That is what im having....... Sorry about that.... is there any way to check the chip without having to take the laptop apart???

Reaction score
Hello J.Naw, this is just a thought... but seeing that you've tried pretty much all that you reasonably can - perhaps it's time to have a word with the retailer, from whom you purchased your faulty Dell. You should be enjoying your new laptop, not having to fix it.

If you need more guidance about your Consumer Rights, you will find lots of helpful info/guidance here: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governm...merrightswhenbuyinggoodsandservices/DG_194650

Hello, I actually bought this from the laptop depot used... It wasn't new and when we first got it it was working fine! :(

Reaction score
I got one thing to say..... Have you ever watched Back to the Future well if you have here is a statement.... "you know what this means?????? IT MEANS THIS D*** THING DOESNT WORK!!!!!!"
Not it does not Doc, not it does not.......

so im on many different sights with different problems... If you want to check it out, come to my latest one: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/196555

Last edited:

Ask a Question