Dell Hell ... a simple remedy

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Well instead of buying a new super gaming box, I decided to get a laptop instead. Not gonna brag, just saying hey got this instead.

As usual Dell loaded it with bloatware, so I nuked and reloaded it. Needless to say the drivers disk they included didn't have 3/4th the drivers I needed to get the system back up and running after a nuke and reload. After a bit of work, downloaded all the required drivers from Dell's support page, and put them on an usb drive. Well that did me no good, since the system didn't recognize USBs yet... Extracted them off the usb to a CD, and finished loading the drivers.

Everything loaded fine except the SoundBlaster Audigy HD. This is why I'm writing all this. It took a Dell tech (a good one) and I almost 2 hours to figure out what the hell was wrong. The included Sound Blaster CD kept saying there was no valid device. The drivers from the support page were also saying the same. However, the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio drivers would load. After a bit of hunting and trying thing, found was missing a crucial piece: the Dell Notebook System Software installation. Now its listed as an "optional" on their website, but for the way this laptop is configured its a must. Uninstalled the Sigmatel, installed the Dell Notebook System Software, reinstalled the Sigmatel, then installed the SB Audigy HD from CDrom with out any further hiccups.

So just a forwarning for anyone planning to get one, and needing to reload. To re-install your SB Audigy HD: 1) Dell Notebook System Software 2) SIGMATEL 3) SB Audigy from CD (The CD sleeve has a reactivation key you MUST have to reinstall the product).

Later,
Rob
Just one example of Dell Hell ... ;)

Now, put you mind at ease and read on ...
The PC De-Crapifier

The PC De-Crapifier is designed to remove a specific list unwanted software in an unattended fashion. Before running, the user may select exactly what software should be removed. Currently, it is targeted for use on most Dell machines; however it will theoretically run on anything that has the software listed below.

Here you can get the latest download of the PC De-Crapifier.
HEY DELL ... you watching this space ... :D

http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/

user.gif

Reaction score
Dell's are good machines, there is no doubt in my mind regarding them, although i do agree that they shouldn't fill *YOUR* brand new computer with crap, hell you just paid for it, so why should they fill it with junk.

Reaction score
I am referring to Dell on a server only basis though.

For servers they are unbeaten.

Reaction score
cImrie said:
Dell's are good machines, there is no doubt in my mind regarding them, although i do agree that they shouldn't fill *YOUR* brand new computer with crap, hell you just paid for it, so why should they fill it with junk.

Same here

I was removing crap from my dell lnspiron 1300 for 30mins.

The soundcard i have is SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD.

Only works under xp and not windows 2000,98.

Dell did,nt give me any booklets about re-installing windows xp at all.

What did ****ed me off was they never gave me windows xp home cd.

But in the end i did get it from them for free.

Am glad i did was about to format my laptop without a windows xp cd.

Ask a Question