Dell 8300 psu troubles

Reaction score
i recently bought a new graphics card for my dell 8300 (pny 6800gt) and all seemed well untill the power supply started to give of a telltale burning smell, so i am currently looking for a replacement psu for my system, i do need about a 400 watt supply,

however i have recently read that dell mother boards have a prblem with non dell psu's, and that u must pay an arm and a leg for dell psu replacements which may not be what i want. However i also read that more modern dells ( post 2002 ) have standard fittings for the psu, my pc is 2004 , and on closer inspection on the cables they seem the same as a standard psu ( see below ) although i heard dell cables were different to standard

i am really confused wether i could just fit a standard psu, or have to get a special one from dell. thanks fpr suggestions guys, sorry if i seem noobish, im not really that big on knowledge about computers

and specs are:

windows xp home sp2
intell p4 . 3.0
standard 8300 motherboard ( model unknown )
nvidia 6800gt
soundblaster live
1 gig of ram
160 gb hard drive

sorry but these are off the top of my head

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I thought all Dell PSU's were standard nowadays, apart from that they have some screw on quick fit connectors. It might be worth asking support, as they should be able to tell you for certain. I think the 8300's use gigabyte motherboards (IIRC), and everything else is standard as is simply reduces cost.

Reaction score
ye ive seen that before, thanks guys, im pretty sure a standard psu will work, however the screws are non standard, its got those quick connectors as one of u guys mentioned b4, the standard dell psu was 14 cm lond and slotted in, im not sure wether psu sizes vary, ive tried asking support about things like this b4, they are reluctant to help that much however.

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you may need a new case because i dont think that dell's cases allow you to use an ATX PSU

Reaction score
hmmm maybe, but this would require me to get a new mother board too, and my budget is allready stretched

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Standard ATX PSUs are Std ... Dell, and a few others, do not use Std PSU ... a self-taping screw will drill its own hole. ;)

Who says you have to mount the PSU inside the case ... :D

I have a computer on my bench that does not have a case. :cool:

Reaction score
sounds ok i suppose, ive heard of 3rd party psu's recking the motehrboard, does neone have a dell to a similar model to mine whoch has a non standard dell psu in it?
cheers for the support guys :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Whitelock_A said:
sounds ok i suppose, ive heard of 3rd party psu's recking the motehrboard, does neone have a dell to a similar model to mine whoch has a non standard dell psu in it?
cheers for the support guys :thumb:
I'm sorry, but to be 100% sure you can fit a Std PSU is to ask Dell ... not wishing to loose a forum member to another forum but Dell do have their own forum. ;)

:thumb:

Ask a Question