deleting video file, can find it in my computer

I downloaded a video file (12.2GB) from my digital video camera, made my
movies and saved them, then I deleted the downloaded file but the memory
(12.2GB) is still occupied on my system. After defragmenting my hard drive
the report tells me the 12.2GB file "\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00469377.AVI" is
unable to be defragemented so I know the file is somewhere but I can not find
the AVI file nor the folders RECYCLER or NPROTECT. This is eating a huge
chunk of my hard drive and I need to get rid of it. Can someone please help
me?

Hey,
RECYCLER is a windows internal name for the recycle bin. its a hidden system
file, so, obviously, you cant see it. Anyway, If you try emptying your
recycle bin, it could release the space. If thats not possible due to some
kind of corruption, try chkdsk on your partition. It wil lwork then. If that
fails too, you have only knoppix to check. Its a live-boot-linux OS. But its
for techies only. If you can find someone to help you, use knoppix to mount
your partition in RW mode an then navigate to "c:\recycler" and find that
12.x GB file... You can try deleting it from there...

Cheers,
Bharath Srinivasan

HillBillyBuddhist

elyobekim said:
I downloaded a video file (12.2GB) from my digital video camera, made my
movies and saved them, then I deleted the downloaded file but the memory
(12.2GB) is still occupied on my system. After defragmenting my hard
drive
the report tells me the 12.2GB file "\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00469377.AVI" is
unable to be defragemented so I know the file is somewhere but I can not
find
the AVI file nor the folders RECYCLER or NPROTECT. This is eating a huge
chunk of my hard drive and I need to get rid of it. Can someone please
help
me?

It's in your Norton protected recycle bin. Empty it.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Lester Stiefel

From: HillBillyBuddhist <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: deleting video file, can find it in my computer
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:33:52 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

It's in your Norton protected recycle bin. Empty it.

RC the recycle bin and then click on "empty norton protected
files". The operation could take up to 5 minutes.