Deleting Folder with a trailing space in the name

G

Okay...I've searched high and low and cannot find an answer to this problem. I have a folder that has a trailing space at the end of the name (I have no idea how it got there). I cannot delete it. I am using Xp Pro with sp1 installed. The drive in question uses the NTFS file system partition. The Knowledge data base says; Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 31522

If the name in the file system appears as a directory, you may be able to delete any directory by using a command like this

RD \\.\drive letter:\path\directory nam

For example

RD \\.\c:\somedir\au

This is obviously from the cmd prompt and this does not work.

I can see the folder in explorer and I can see the folder when I do a dir at the command prompt. The commands above and well as any other command from the command prompt just give me a "Cannot find the specified File" huh? I'm using the RD command so why would it say cant find the file? If I try to right click and delete the folder in explorer it says " Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." Again why does it say file when Im trying to delete a folder? There is nothing in the folder. The folder attributes are correct. The folder permissions are correct. The reason I know it has a trailing space is because when I do a "dir /w" at the cmd prompt the folder shows up in brackets and there is a space before the end bracket. The rest of the folders have no space in the brackets.
ok you pros!!! what can I do???

Att

V

VManes

try putting the path in double quotes, including the trailing space, like:

rd "\\.\drive letter:\path\directory name"

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com
Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.

Okay...I've searched high and low and cannot find an answer to this problem.
I have a folder that has a trailing space at the end of the name (I have no
idea how it got there). I cannot delete it. I am using Xp Pro with sp1
installed. The drive in question uses the NTFS file system partition. The
Knowledge data base says; Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 315226

If the name in the file system appears as a directory, you may be able to
delete any directory by using a command like this:

RD \\.\drive letter:\path\directory name

For example:

RD \\.\c:\somedir\aux

This is obviously from the cmd prompt and this does not work.

I can see the folder in explorer and I can see the folder when I do a dir at
the command prompt. The commands above and well as any other command from
the command prompt just give me a "Cannot find the specified File" huh?
I'm using the RD command so why would it say cant find the file? If I try
to right click and delete the folder in explorer it says " Cannot delete
file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." Again why does it say file
when Im trying to delete a folder? There is nothing in the folder. The
folder attributes are correct. The folder permissions are correct. The
reason I know it has a trailing space is because when I do a "dir /w" at
the cmd prompt the folder shows up in brackets and there is a space before
the end bracket. The rest of the folders have no space in the brackets.
ok you pros!!! what can I do????

Atty

G

All it says then is " The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

strange stuff.......

G

Vmanes you are not gonna believe this cause I dont..

I put a file inside of the folder.....Then tried to delete the folder.....It said " Are you sure you want to delete the folder and all its contents? I said yes and it deleted the folder....Then another folder with the same name popped up with a new Date modifed date.....I clicked on it and it said " can't find it it must have been moved....I refreshed the drive and there it was just as before. I must have a virus or some kind of funny buisness going on here. I repeated this process about 10 times and all 10 times it deleted the folder with the file in it but then created another one almost instantly. wowzers...

Atty

R

roger

Hi Atticus,

Vmanes you are not gonna believe this cause I dont...

I put a file inside of the folder.....Then tried to delete the folder.....It said " Are you sure you want to delete the folder and all its contents? I said yes and it deleted the folder....Then another folder with the same name popped up with a new Date modifed date.....I clicked on it and it said " can't find it it must have been moved....I refreshed the drive and there it was just as before. I must have a virus or some kind of funny buisness going on here. I repeated this process about 10 times and all 10 times it deleted the folder with the file in it but then created another one almost instantly. wowzers....

Atty

You have either a virus or malware.

Run an online scan at one of the following:
Trend Micro HouseCall:
http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/

Panda Active Scan:
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/

RAV AntiVirus Online Virus Scan
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

BitDefender Free Online Virus Scan
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan/license.php

Scan for malware:
Try downloading, installing and updating the free
spyware removers from the links below. Run both of them.
Ad-aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Spybot S&D
http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

Good luck

G

Roger and Vmanes thanks for answering me. But, nothing either of you have suggested has worked.
It sure seems to be a malicious program. I did'nt have security tabs on any of my files/folders so I went into control panel and set it up to see the security tabs and it worked fine. Except on that folder. That folder will not allow me to see the security tab. That folder will not allow me to deleted it, move it or rename it even in safe mode or from the cmd prompt. When I add a file into it I can then delete it but it comes right back instantly with a new date/time stamp.

How can I see what process is making the folder? What program can I use to beat this problem?

Atty

G

Thanks for the try Lance. Move on boot only does files not folders it seems. =/ Never had a problem this tough before.

L

Lance Joiner

Whe you open move on boot just drag the folder in the window and see if that
will do it. I made a folder on my desktop and used it to delete it.

G

Lance some more strange goings on!!!!

The link you gave me pointed to an older "free" version of moveonboot. When I installed this version I found that it did not do folders just files as I told you in my last post. But the installation also created a link in the start menu which points here.....

http://www.gibinsoft.net/gipoutils/

There I found a much newer version of moveonboot within thier filutils program that does do folders and much more. I downloaded and installed it. I also had to register on thier site for a free 30 day evaluation key to use the progams I had just downloaded and installed. When I got the key through my email I got this message; Error: "OE removed access to the following unsafe attachments in your mail futils1.key" All my years of using Outlook Express I've never seen this message. So I thought it would never work now without being able to use the key. I started the new moveonboot and it said it could not find the key. But it still brought up a menu that allowed me to add a job. So I thought wth and I added my offending folder to be deleted on the next boot as my job. It asked me if I wanted to reboot now so I said sure! After it rebooted the folder was GONE! I could not believe it after two days of trying everything I could think of. Even after I could not get the key, this evaluation program still worked? Wow man some strange werkings in this computer of mine as of late! Thanks so much for your input. Ima buy this program. Seems to be some quality stuff

Atty

L

Lance Joiner

I've been using the free version for a while and haven't needed to upgrade.
The free one will do folders too. You just have to drag the folder in the
window. But I'm glad you got rid of the folder.

L

Lance Joiner

I downloaded the new version and registered. The e-mail I recieved had an
attachment with a small file that you copy to the move on boot program
folder. I guess your security setting in OE prevented you from getting it.

G

Exactly lance..... OE's security settings were the culprit.

Thanks again for your help.

Atty

Ask a Question