Delayed Write Failed

CoastMtns

I just downloaded the DiskWizard, it is actually the Acronis software

Oh yes, the delayed write failure continues, I spoke too soon

Bob I said:
Try this link first,
http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/discwizard
Too right!

Thanks for all your help. Look for my posts when I start having cloning
issues!

Bob

I think at this point I would move forward with the replacement plan. You
know what they say about second guessing!

CoastMtns wrote:

In preparation of cloning my hdd I deleted alot off the drive. Since
then I have not scene the balloon pop-up telling me " Delayed Write
Failed". Could this be because I freed up alot of undamaged disk and my
drive is still failing? Or was there something else going on that has
been corrected? I guess just replacing it now as I did have indications
it was failing is best?

Thanks, Bob

Yes, I will now be cloning the hard drive onto the same model, looks
like I will be using Acronis True Image 10, I was told Norton Ghosts
does not support SATA drives. Apparently, it will be straight forward
with no messing around with jumpers as it is SATA to SATA. I do not
believe I need to do anything in the BIOS set up on installation

Why not get the Seagate "clone" utility they have for download and use
that instead of starting from scratch , would save a heck of alot of
time!

CoastMtns wrote:

Well it look like I will be replacing the hard drive tomorrow. A new
Seagate, as the old is under warranty. I hope this is a matter of
dropping in my windows disk and installing

Nope, the manufacturers utility is written to handle, interrogate,
interpret their hardware, each manufacturer has their own utility.

CoastMtns wrote:

I ran Norton Disk Doctor, nothing unusual. Would this give me the
same information concerning my disk status as the manufacturers
utility?

Umm, thats about right. if you read the fine print, the "marketing
size" is quoted in Decimal bytes (1000) while computers actually
use binary(1024), plus a little space is used in formatting.

CoastMtns wrote:

Oh yes, my 320GB hard drive displays as 298GB with My Computer

Start with the drive diagnostic utility first. THAT will tell
you the hardware status of the drive.

CoastMtns wrote:

Yes, I have backed up. My concern is that it may fail at the
worst time, not like there is a good time. I wonder if I
should go witha new hard drive soner than later?

No way this can be a Windows XP pblm is there?

thanks, Bob

That is like predicting a lightning strike, you could get the
drive diagnostic software from the drive manufacturers web
site and test to verify that it wasn't a hardware hiccup, but
having a current backup is ALWAYS recommended.

CoastMtns wrote:

So as the machine was writing to the internal hard drive I
have an imminent drive failure. Well, there is nothong good
about that forecast. Soooo any ideas on how soon my hard
drive fails. Is there a suggestion on what woudl be a good
idea? Like maybe start to shop for a new hard drive?

thanks, Bob

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com>
wrote in message

where are you writing to... the internal hard drive or an
external drive or memory stick?

If the latter, be sure you use the "safely remove..."
systray icon... if the former, you likely have an imminent
drive failure.

"got backup?"

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Bob I

Please read the info about WindowsXP and SATA drives that are there too,
the more info the better ;-)

wrote in message

where are you writing to... the internal hard drive or an
external drive or memory stick?

If the latter, be sure you use the "safely remove..."
systray icon... if the former, you likely have an imminent
drive failure.

"got backup?"

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

CoastMtns

Used Acronis, went off without a hitch. New hdd provided for by warranty,
And the PC store where I originally was outfitted with the system were very
helpful and accomadating.

thansk again, Bob

CoastMtns wrote:

So as the machine was writing to the internal hard drive I
have an imminent drive failure. Well, there is nothong
good about that forecast. Soooo any ideas on how soon my
hard drive fails. Is there a suggestion on what woudl be a
good idea? Like maybe start to shop for a new hard drive?

thanks, Bob

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]"
<BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in message

where are you writing to... the internal hard drive or an
external drive or memory stick?

If the latter, be sure you use the "safely remove..."
systray icon... if the former, you likely have an imminent
drive failure.

"got backup?"

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Bob I

You're welcome, nice to hear the system is back in order! Have a good day!