Defragging and Defragging apps.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
My question is about defragging and basically concerns Auslogics vs Defraggler.

For a while, I've been using Auslogics, which does the job pretty quickly, not taking more than about 10 minutes or so. But today, I decided to try Defraggler (from the makers of CCleaner) and it took an age.... despite having defragged just a week or so ago.

So, what is the experts' opinion on this, does the speed of the operation have any bearing on the result? It's tempting to feel that it must be making a more accurage job of things if it's taking lots of time.... but on the other hand, is it just being a "jobsworthy" trying to look fussy and busy but not really achieving anything spectacular?

It would be interesting to know, thank you for looking.
:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Erm... polite cough.
141.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Look we are all busy folk , no need to hassle us. When we can find time off from testing games we will answer.
Still you were rather polite, which is nice to see.
As to the Q. I use Diskeeper running in the background so have no knowledge to help you with.

Happy now you have a reply.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Erm... polite cough.
141.gif

Defragging? Oh, I remember now... a Windows chore. Last time I did that was in 2005.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In answer to the original question...

I have not a clue :confused:

But I do like Crap Cleaner and most defrag apps I know take at least ten minutes and up to an hour to thoroughly defrag a drive so my money would be on Defraggler.

Myself, I use Diskeeper V7.0, it's about 8 years old but still does the job.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is some sort of automatic defragging on Vista and that it is not neccessary to do it yourself.

Since being on Vista I haven't done it at all. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would guess that the longer it takes, the better a job it does... but that really is just a guess based on logic. I don't bother defragging any more as the Vista default one runs every so often and does it for me - but there's no harm in being pro-active :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies, including the jokey ones! ;) :D

I see that Diskeeper is favoured by Abarbarian and Sir Flopps so I have been taking a look at that.

Flopps, can I ask whether your version work with Vista, please? I see that the purchased versions will, but it looks as if their "Lite" version doesn't. (I'm not too stingey to buy it, but thought I'd check first ;) because occasionally things work fine in Vista, which are not supposed to.)

Niv and Ian - I've always wondered whether the on-board defragger works well enough - mainly because it always tells me that the system "doesn't need" to be defragged, whereas a third-party application seems to disagree, and happily finds quite a lot of "defraggables" so to speak.

Am I correct in thinking that you haven't found that it slows anything down, if you have the on-board Vista defrag set to run "continuously?"

Abarbarian said:
Look we are all busy folk , no need to hassle us. When we can find time off from testing games we will answer.
Still you were rather polite, which is nice to see.
As to the Q. I use Diskeeper running in the background so have no knowledge to help you with.

Happy now you have a reply.

Mr Barbarian sir, :bow: :bow: I am honoured that you would sacrifice even a minute, of games research and testing, to bestow knowledge upon this humble Celtic dunce.... so I am going to present you with a prize leek. It was destined for the local orphanage, where it would have kept the waifs in soup for a week! However, they're more than happy to give up this bounty. (The brave and generous little souls will be forced to exist on fish, chips, burgers and pies instead.)

:lol: :lol:

Thank you all again :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Golly gosh can't have the little dears getting fat and unhealthy. So I'll forgo the leek prize and you can send me all that disgusting fast food to me as it will keep it away from the poor little dears.

:blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score

Thank you muchly for the helpful link AB :thumb: :D

Abarbarian said:
Golly gosh can't have the little dears getting fat and unhealthy. So I'll forgo the leek prize and you can send me all that disgusting fast food to me as it will keep it away from the poor little dears.

That's very generous of you, but don't blame me if your shirt-buttons start popping off! :lol:
fish_and_chips.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

Yummy my favourite food, An my friend don't mind that little extra to hold on to.

Attachments

• 2009-01-25_134112.jpg
    2009-01-25_134112.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 295

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Why not something lighter... bratwurst with sauerkraut (and loadsa leek in the sauerkraut)?

133264kermainenhapankaafy2.jpg

happywave.gif

Ask a Question