Defrag won't work

G

I tried to defrag my hard drive for the first time and can't even get started. Regardless of whether I just try to just Analyze or Defrag, it begins and then I get this

Defragmentation of (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:) to repair these inconsistencies, then run Disk Defragmenter again

I went ahead and ran CHKDSK and there were no problems, but I still keep getting the same message and no success. Any ideas?

F

Frenchy

Run
CHKDSK /R

Note space between K and the /

Note it may take a few hours! Note also, (assuming U have NTFS format) it requires you to
re-boot and then it runs the CHKDSK

Frenchy

fracasg said:
I tried to defrag my hard drive for the first time and can't even get started. Regardless
of whether I just try to just Analyze or Defrag, it begins and then I get this:
Defragmentation of (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the
filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:) to repair these inconsistencies, then run
Disk Defragmenter again.
I went ahead and ran CHKDSK and there were no problems, but I still keep getting the same
message and no success. Any ideas?

G

Frenchy,

You're a prince/princess (gender dependent...or not). Thanks a million! It worked!

In your debt,
fracasg

Ask a Question