Bill Sanderson

What OS version?

Has Defender been installed before?

Give us some history about this.

B

Bill Sanderson

I think you need the Windows Installer cleanup tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Find the link to the download in the article.

Save the download to the desktop, and double-click and run it to install the tool, You can then delete the installer file from the desktop.

Look in the start menu for the installed tool, and run it. Select just Windows Defender and remove it.

Then re-try your installation. Should go fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling the tool if your machine is shared--there are risks if you get too click-happy with it. It should never be used to uninstall the 2007 versions of Office apps, in particular.

The other major use for this tool is when you click to run application X, and suddenly you see a dialog box about installing application Y--if you don't have a source for application Y to repair, or an uninstall link, you need the cleanup tool.

Dave said:
Thanks for your responce. Yes I belive it was installed. I am running XP Pro
SP3

--

D

Dave

no luck

Bill Sanderson said:
I think you need the Windows Installer cleanup tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Find the link to the download in the article.

Save the download to the desktop, and double-click and run it to install the tool, You can then delete the installer file from the desktop.

Look in the start menu for the installed tool, and run it. Select just Windows Defender and remove it.

Then re-try your installation. Should go fine.

I'd recommend uninstalling the tool if your machine is shared--there are risks if you get too click-happy with it. It should never be used to uninstall the 2007 versions of Office apps, in particular.

The other major use for this tool is when you click to run application X, and suddenly you see a dialog box about installing application Y--if you don't have a source for application Y to repair, or an uninstall link, you need the cleanup tool.

B

Bill Sanderson

Shouldn't be any luck involved.

Was the error message completely unchanged?

See if "windows Defender definitions" or something similar are also listed
by the cleanup tool, and remove those as well.

Dave said:

--

Ask a Question