Defender service won't start.


S

steve oates

I've installed windows defender, but the service won't start up. I get
get the error message :-

"The Windows Defender service terminated with the following error:
The signature of the certificate can not be verified."

I noticed that when I ran the msi file it complained about the
origin of the software saying that the manufacturer was unknown?, but I
got it from the Microsoft website. Anyone know how to fix it? I'm using
WinXp Professional SP3.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bill Sanderson

Get rid of what you downloaded and download over again. If you downloaded
the 64 bit version, get the 32 bit version instead.
 
S

steve oates

Bill said:
Get rid of what you downloaded and download over again. If you
downloaded the 64 bit version, get the 32 bit version instead.


I've tried that and I get the same error messages again and the service
fails to start.
When I run the msi file one of the messages before it installs is :-
"This file does not have a valid digital signature"
 
B

Bill Sanderson

Can you download the file via a different path--preferably a completely
different Internet Service provider?

This sounds like there is a proxy server between you and Microsoft., and the
proxy has a corrupted file.
 
S

steve oates

Bill said:
Can you download the file via a different path--preferably a completely
different Internet Service provider?

This sounds like there is a proxy server between you and Microsoft., and
the proxy has a corrupted file.

I'm doing this from home so that's not possible.
 
B

Bill Sanderson

steve oates said:
I'm doing this from home so that's not possible.


I want to emphasize to others reading this thread that what I'm going to suggest is NOT a good practice in general, but I think it may help you out, and that the risk is relatively low.

Try this link:

http://filehippo.com/download_windows_defender/


Normally, I would only use direct Microsoft hosted links to download Microsoft software. Doing anything else entails a risk of receiving a file which perhaps has been modified maliciously. I have never had a bad experience with a file from this source, and .msi files should be signed and protected from modification--hence the source of your problem in the first place. :Lets see if this works.






-
-
 
Ad

Advertisements

S

steve oates

Bill said:
I want to emphasize to others reading this thread that what I'm going to
suggest is NOT a good practice in general, but I think it may help you
out, and that the risk is relatively low.

Try this link:

http://filehippo.com/download_windows_defender/


Normally, I would only use direct Microsoft hosted links to download
Microsoft software. Doing anything else entails a risk of receiving a
file which perhaps has been modified maliciously. I have never had a
bad experience with a file from this source, and .msi files should be
signed and protected from modification--hence the source of your problem
in the first place. :Lets see if this works.

Thanx Bill - That didn't work either.
However, recently I've had problems with not being able to access the
windows-update page. After trying various things suggested on the help
pages, which didn't work, I eventually got a notification that updates
were waiting for me. These downloaded ok, and I can now access the
update page. So I tried downloading Windows Defender again and this time
it installed and started successfully ??
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bill Sanderson

steve oates said:
Thanx Bill - That didn't work either.
However, recently I've had problems with not being able to access the
windows-update page. After trying various things suggested on the help
pages, which didn't work, I eventually got a notification that updates
were waiting for me. These downloaded ok, and I can now access the update
page. So I tried downloading Windows Defender again and this time it
installed and started successfully ??


--
Very interesting--thanks for keeping me in the loop.

If you look at your Windows Update history--can you spot which update might
have made the difference? It should show as coming from autoupdate, I
think, and there'd be a date.

I'm suspecting that it might have been a version upgrade to the Windows
Installer.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top