default permissions

John

I would like to set an XP system back to the default NTFS permissions. Is
there an easy way to do this? If not, is there a list that shows what they
are? I found a list for NT and 2000 but not XP...

Thanks

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi John,

Thanks for posting here!

From the problem description, my understanding is: you prefer to reset the
NTFS permissions to default in Windows XP.

I agree with John John that we can use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266118 on Windows XP.

Apart from that, NTFS permission will be reset to default when resetting
the security settings in Windows XP:

Note: There are a number of preconfigured security templates that come with
the operating system that you can apply. However, if you do not have a
complete backup, you may not be able to put the system back to its original
state.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. Type secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
secsetup.sdb /verbose, and then press ENTER. You receive a "Task is
completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done.
You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this
message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

For more information on the above, please refer to the following knowledge
base article:

313222 How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313222

If there are any questions on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Helen Li, MCSE 2003
Microsoft Online Partner Support

PLEASE NOTE:
The newsgroup SECURE CODE and PASSWORD changes have been delayed.
Please complete a re-registration process by entering the secure code
mpng2008
when prompted at the Newsgroup entry page.
Once you have entered the secure code mpng2008, you will be
able to update your profile and access the partner newsgroups through the
web
or your NNTP account..
* * * OUR APOLOGIES FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE * * *

| Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:13:30 -0300
| From: John John <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: default permissions
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266118 Same applies to XP.
|
| John
|
| John wrote:
|
| > I would like to set an XP system back to the default NTFS permissions.
Is
| > there an easy way to do this? If not, is there a list that shows what
they
| > are? I found a list for NT and 2000 but not XP...
| >
| > Thanks

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi John,

Thanks for posting here!

From the problem description, my understanding is: you prefer to reset the
NTFS permissions to default in Windows XP.

I agree with John John that we can use
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266118 on Windows XP.

Apart from that, NTFS permission will be reset to default when resetting
the security settings in Windows XP:

Note: There are a number of preconfigured security templates that come with
the operating system that you can apply. However, if you do not have a
complete backup, you may not be able to put the system back to its original
state.

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. Type secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db
secsetup.sdb /verbose, and then press ENTER. You receive a "Task is
completed" message, and a warning message that something could not be done.
You can safely ignore this message. For more information about this
message, view the %windir%\Security\Logs\Scesrv.log file.

For more information on the above, please refer to the following knowledge
base article:

313222 How to reset security settings back to the defaults
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=313222

If there are any questions on this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Helen Li, MCSE 2003

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:13:30 -0300
| From: John John <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: default permissions
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266118 Same applies to XP.
|
| John
|
| John wrote:
|
| > I would like to set an XP system back to the default NTFS permissions.
Is
| > there an easy way to do this? If not, is there a list that shows what
they
| > are? I found a list for NT and 2000 but not XP...
| >
| > Thanks

Helen Li [MSFT]

Hi John,

I am just writing to see how everything is going. If you have any updates
or need any further assistance on this issue, please feel free to let me
know. I am glad to be of assistance.