Deepburner CD burner s/w

Harvey Van Sickle

On 22 Aug 2005, hummingbird wrote
Has anybody used this free CD burner software?
Any experiences of it? - good/bad
Does it support CD Text? (doesn't look like it).

http://www.deepburner.com/?r=products&pr=deepburner&prr=features

I currently have Easy CD Creator Platinum v5.0 but not yet installed
on my new-built PC, so I'm wondering what might be best to use...

It works fine for me -- I've used DeepBurner for a while now -- but I
mainly burn data CDs and the occasional audio one. (I've not used the
DVD burning feature, but have heard it works OK.)

(FWIW, DeepBurner's apparently considered "adware" in this group, on
the basis that the toolbar has a live link which advertises DeepBurner
Pro; I've never seen a third-party ad through it, though, so it
doesn't bother me at all.)

Susan Bugher

hummingbird said:
I currently have Easy CD Creator Platinum v5.0 but not yet installed
on my new-built PC, so I'm wondering what might be best to use...

Easy CD was always very large and somewhat bloated but worked.

erm. . . EXTREME caution is advised for those using Win XP OS - Easy CD wreaked havoc in some cases
(Microsoft's site has more info).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

hummingbird

erm. . . EXTREME caution is advised for those using Win XP OS - Easy CD wreaked havoc in some cases
(Microsoft's site has more info).

Duh! Do you have a link for this?
I'm now using XP-Pro SP2 and don't want to kill it just yet!

Francesco Ghirlanda

Il Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:07:19 +0100, hummingbird ha scritto:
Has anybody used this free CD burner software?
Any experiences of it? - good/bad
Does it support CD Text? (doesn't look like it).

If I remember correctly Deep Burner doesn't support cd text, anyway if you
need it you can use burnatonce: http://www.burnatonce.com

Bye

Susan Bugher

hummingbird said:
On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 13:32:10 -0400, Susan Bugher

Duh! Do you have a link for this?
I'm now using XP-Pro SP2 and don't want to kill it just yet!

Here's one link about XP/EasyCD problems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

I think your best bet for finding other info is to start with MS's list of XP compatible apps -
don't have a URL on hand but I think it's shown on XP's home page.

I found out about the problems after I installed EasyCD on my new XP box. :( I installed/
uninstalled an old version of EasyCD and survived. FWIW - EasyCD was worthless - it wouldn't
recognize the new CD burner. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mel

mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

Duh! Do you have a link for this?
I'm now using XP-Pro SP2 and don't want to kill it just yet!
Before you do anything you might want to check the Roxio Website to see
if your CD/DVD Drive is supported by v5.0:

http://rpp.roxio.com/drives/?page=supported_drives

If it is and you want to install v5.0: You should then download the
Updates for v5.0:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5_2.jhtml

Update Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Platinum to 5.3.5 &
Drive Update for Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.3.5.10v
Update the Video Impressions component of Easy CD Creator Platinum
Update the Photo Relay component of Easy CD Creator Platinum

After you Install v5.0 you'll need to install the updates inorder to get
the program working.

FWIW: I've been using v5.0 on XP Home-sp1 for a couple of years with no
problems.

hummingbird

Here's one link about XP/EasyCD problems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

I think your best bet for finding other info is to start with MS's list of XP compatible apps -
don't have a URL on hand but I think it's shown on XP's home page.

I found out about the problems after I installed EasyCD on my new XP box. :( I installed/
uninstalled an old version of EasyCD and survived. FWIW - EasyCD was worthless - it wouldn't
recognize the new CD burner. . .

Susan

Thanks Susan, I'll check that out.

hummingbird

Before you do anything you might want to check the Roxio Website to see
if your CD/DVD Drive is supported by v5.0:

http://rpp.roxio.com/drives/?page=supported_drives

If it is and you want to install v5.0: You should then download the
Updates for v5.0:

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/software_updatesv5_2.jhtml

Update Easy CD Creator 5.x.x Platinum to 5.3.5 &
Drive Update for Easy CD Creator Platinum 5.3.5.10v
Update the Video Impressions component of Easy CD Creator Platinum
Update the Photo Relay component of Easy CD Creator Platinum

After you Install v5.0 you'll need to install the updates inorder to get
the program working.

Thanks. Actually I have the huge updater to go from v5.0 to v5.3.5
and installed it on my other PC some while back. I'll check the other
updates you mention. My CD drive is a Plextor 16/10/40 and is
certainly supported. It all worked OK on XP-Pro SP1 although it did
seem to take a lot of HDD space, hence me thinking about alts.

The other benefit is that it can burn MP3 CDs which Deepburner can't.
FWIW: I've been using v5.0 on XP Home-sp1 for a couple of years with no
problems.

I need to check the MS website in case of XP-Pro SP2 problems.
Thanks.

hummingbird

On 22 Aug 2005 16:10:50 -0700, (e-mail address removed)
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
I prefer this one.

CDBurnerXP Pro
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/
CDBurnerXP Pro works on Windows 98/ME/2000/XP systems.

This one looks very interesting. Even burns MP3 CDs! hhmm :)

Sparky

hummingbird said:
On 22 Aug 2005 16:10:50 -0700, (e-mail address removed)
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

This one looks very interesting. Even burns MP3 CDs! hhmm :)

Hummingbird;

I second Jmatt's endorsement. I've been using cdburnerxp for almost two
years now. Mostly for iso's, mp3's & CDA's. Works like a charm. Can't
speak for DVD authoring however.

-Sparky

hummingbird

Hummingbird;

I second Jmatt's endorsement. I've been using cdburnerxp for almost two
years now. Mostly for iso's, mp3's & CDA's. Works like a charm. Can't
speak for DVD authoring however.

Thanks for that.
Can you clarify whether I need .NET framework or not. The website
says you only need it for v3.5+ but the latest version available is
v3.0.116 dated Oct/2004 or summat. I don't want to install .NET...!

I want it for audio CDs, MP3 CDs and data CDs and maybe some CD/RW
back-ups - I'm not into DVD yet!

Henry The Mole

Hello, hummingbird!
You wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:20:20 +0100:
Thanks for that.
Can you clarify whether I need .NET framework or not. The website
says you only need it for v3.5+ but the latest version available is
v3.0.116 dated Oct/2004 or summat. I don't want to install .NET...!

3.5 is now in developement, and will require .net framework.
3.0.116 doesn't, and works well.

Kindly regards.

Mel

3.5 is now in developement, and will require .net framework.
3.0.116 doesn't, and works well.
I guess you haven't been to the Website recently:

<Quote>
Now we have found a way to install and use CDBurnerXP without a .NET
setup. I hope that all M$ and .NET haters and those who can't install
the .NET Framework are satisfied now :)

This method has been tested on Windows XP and 2000, we don't know yet if
it works on other systems as well. Of course you have to try this method
using our alpha versions (3.5.101.4 or 3.5.101.6), all older versions
(like 3.0.116) don't use the .NET Framework anyway (this guide still
links to the 3.0.116 version). Don't forget that our alpha versions
including this setup method are still only for testing purposes.
</Quote>

Henry The Mole

Hello, Mel!
You wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:34:04 GMT:
I guess you haven't been to the Website recently:

Actually you're right, sorry for my mistake :p

Kindly regards.

Mel

Hello, Mel!
You wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:34:04 GMT:

Actually you're right, sorry for my mistake :p

Kindly regards.
What mistake?

The quote was a FYI type quote!

I thought you'd find the idea interesting.

hummingbird

Hello, hummingbird!
You wrote on Tue, 23 Aug 2005 01:20:20 +0100:

3.5 is now in developement, and will require .net framework.
3.0.116 doesn't, and works well.

Kindly regards.

Fabulous. Thanks for that.

hummingbird

I guess you haven't been to the Website recently:

<Quote>
Now we have found a way to install and use CDBurnerXP without a .NET
setup. I hope that all M$ and .NET haters and those who can't install
the .NET Framework are satisfied now :)

I saw this and it added to my confusion about the version level
currently available. I thought: why explain how to install w/o .NET
if v3.5 isn't even available on the website...
This method has been tested on Windows XP and 2000, we don't know yet if
it works on other systems as well. Of course you have to try this method
using our alpha versions (3.5.101.4 or 3.5.101.6), all older versions
(like 3.0.116) don't use the .NET Framework anyway (this guide still
links to the 3.0.116 version). Don't forget that our alpha versions
including this setup method are still only for testing purposes.
</Quote>

I may have missed this piece.